Gw/nw-044 - 12/1/09

I had hoped to activate GW/NW-044 and GW/NW-051 as a pair on another joint activation with Ron GW4EVX. We discussed the activation during our stint on Hope Mountain, but unfortunately Ron was otherwise occupied today. I had things to do early doors and made a last minute decision to give it a go alone. I have bought a new pair of walking boots, so it was a good chance to “break them in”.

On leaving the car park it was dry but very windy with heavy cloud. It was the same on my return to the car park, but the bit in between was very different. I assembled the station and had opted to use the FT-817, much lighter to carry, and decided to start on 7.032-cw. A quick phone call to mission control, Barry 2E0PXW, sorted a spot out for me and I was ready to go five minutes later.

My QRL? was instantly answered by Mike LA5SAA who was a fine 599 signal. I commented to Mike that it was very windy with heavy rain, his response made me envious. He gave me my report then told me how he was nice and warm and dry. Thanks Mike, hi. After Mike, the usual pile-up ensued, or so I thought, but just 8 more stations were logged before the band went quiet. I QSYd to 30m, the usual 10.118 was in use so I opted for 10.117. Two QRLs were sent, silence. I called my usual CQs and was replied to by OK2BEI, well I thought he replied to me but it soon became obvious that he had in fact replied to a PA0 station and not to me. Another QSY to “split the difference” to 10.117.5 brought no response. So just the 9 worked in a frantic 6 minutes, including 1 G station in the form Reg G3WPF. To be honest, I’m glad the way things had worked out. I ALWAYS work the pile ups down and try to get every chaser in my log, but today I just wanted to get of a very cold wet and miserable summit. The rain was of the type that comes at you sideways, it was cold and felt like 20 razorblades slashing at your face. Those who have experienced it will know exactly what I mean.

On my return to the car park it was hard to imagine the wx I had left behind me. I weighed up GW/NW-051 which looms above the “Top” car park and made a quick decision to leave it for again. For one, there was some idiot with a very large German Shepheard dog who had totally lost control of the beast, which was now snarling at a walker and then turned on a sheep, also it would have been dark in half an hour and I didn’t fancy the slippery descent in the dark. Thoughts of John G4YSS made me feel a right wimp!!

The good side, my new boots are very comfy and kept my feet perfectly dry.
Apologies for the hasty retreat to those who might have been waiting for 80/60m but I had just had enough on the day.

Total worked 9
DXCCs = 5 LA, DL, S5, HB9, G.

73 to all stations worked and to Barry for his fone a spot services.

Mike GW0DSP

I ALWAYS work the pile ups down

Fair play. It takes some doing in poor wx. On Trostan GI/AH-001 last Spring, there were too many people spoiling things with poor pile-up discipline, when a very sudden heavy hail storm whipped into the summit. I lost the will and passed control of the station to Jimmy.

My CW reading is probably mcuh better now, and able to deal with such a situation better, but back then the antics of the alligators was slowing my QSO rate down to one every two minutes which is soul destroying especially when the weather turns.

I didn’t fancy the slippery descent in the dark

Don’t you know the ramparts route off the summit? Nothing steep or slippery at all. It’s very useful for descending in darkness or poor weather, or for ascending when one is feeling a little less energetic.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

Yes I know the ramparts route or as I call it the corkscrew route. In fact it’s the only route that I use.

Today, the area just above the picnic tables was like a skating rink judging by those coming off the summit. Above that where the track traverses towards Ruthin and then winds itself around the hill, looked fine. It was the thought of a double backwards somersault in the dark on the lower part of the descent that helped put me off, plus the fact that I pictured a repeat of the earlier wx while on Moel Famau. As the saying goes, it’s there for again.

I have lost count of the times that I have been on Moel Famau, mainly as a lad, but today was the first time with radio gear.

Mike, GW0DSP

There’s a little zigzag diversion through a gate that by-passes that lower section and brings you safely out at the end of the car park.

The only SOTA summit left for me that I have been on, but before SOTA, is Loughrigg Fell G/LD-047.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

The only SOTA summit left for me that I have been on, but before SOTA,
is Loughrigg Fell G/LD-047.

Tom

You don’t wan’t to do that, you really want to do G/SB-006/010 :slight_smile:

Mike, GW0DSP

We’ll do them for you Mike. They’re on the to-do list. Jimmy is eyeing up a G completion, so we’ll be there sooner or later.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP:

An interesting report Mike. I took a listen, but there was absolutely zilch from you here - I just heard your mini pile up. No short skip, but additionally it must have been one of those days as when I returned to the computer to look up some information on a website it wouldn’t let me on as I had an insecure browser! I had fired up IE7 rather than Firefox. Anyway, I wasn’t going to let this get to me… not until I went on 7MHz PSK this evening and called SP4TXI who then told me we had had a QSO in April 2005, 73, Gud DX and goodbye! It’s a good job that doesn’t happen to me on a summit!

Well done braving the weather and making the right decision for Foel Fenlli - not particularly nice in the wet.

73, Gerald

To Tom

I’ll most definitely look forward to that Tom and the drinks will be on me next time I activate the Cloud & Gun.

To Gerald

Well done braving the weather and making the right decision for Foel Fenlli → not particularly nice in the wet.

I’ll let you into a little secret, if I knew what I knew when I got back to the carpark, I wouldn’t have left it in the first place, hi.

73, Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I’ll let you into a little secret, if I knew what I knew when I got
back to the carpark, I wouldn’t have left it in the first place, hi.

Hmmmm, shades of 23rd February 2008 on the ascent of Snowdon via the usually benign Pyg track. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only it were a reality!

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike,

This was a good read until we come to the ‘20 razorblades slashing at your face.’ After that you made the same choice I would have made. Namely to go home and come back another day.

10 Megs was a bit like hard work for you and the last time I was on there a week or two ago, it was the same. You showed great bravado to go on 7 MHz CW with black clouds above; it was perhaps fortuitous that in the end, you were let off the hook. That said, your QSO rate and certainly your CW reading skills would be good enough for 40m not to phase you.

Good to hear that the boots were waterproof & they didn’t hurt you the 1st time on. Good boots won’t but I have had some rotters back in skint days. Being once hugely upset that my comfy-like-slippers boots ‘Sorry but they don’t make that style anymore Sir’ wore out and I couldn’t replace them, if I do find boots that I like nowadays I buy 3 pairs! I tried some £160 winter boots on in George Fishers once and they damaged my Achilles tendons just going up the wooden ramp! (They did fix me up with a different make as it happens and boy, were the thorough!)

Mike LA5SAA must be a ‘new customer,’ leastways I never worked him before last time out.

I don’t trust those 'Hairy Alsatians ’ either despite them being much respected for arresting criminals.

Well, I enjoyed reading your report Mike. It was short, to the point, interesting and readable, unlike some of the tomes certain people put on here HI!

73, John. (YSS)

…some of the tomes certain people…

That sounds like it’s either me or you John. And since I have already declared my enjoyment of your last report on this reflector, then by process of elimination… :o

Surprised you’ve not work LA5SAA much. He is a regular on early morning 80m CW for me.

My current boots are a pair of £150 Meindls, and they are excellent. But my previous pair, £65 from my local Yeomans store, were good as well. I retired them after the Pennine Way. They got me to Kirk Yetholm, and only started to fall apart the day after, gently strolling in GM/SS!

I have great disdain for dog owners that allow poorly behaved dogs off the leash. Thankfully, it is so rarely the case while out walking, since dogs that are taken on the hills regularly are very well-behaved as a result.

Four days without doing an activation over the course of the last week, and I’m not even getting withdrawal symptoms. Might do the 70cm contest up The Cloud later though, and possibly a run out to Hoove G/NP-024 on Saturday. We’ll see. Anyone care to join up with us?

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to G4YSS:

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike,

You showed great bravado to go on 7 MHz CW with black clouds above; it was > perhaps fortuitous that in the end, you were let off the hook. That said,
your QSO rate and certainly your CW reading skills would be good enough for > 40m not to phase you.

I love the challenge of 40m -cw and I enjoy working the pile-ups down (does that make me a sadist?), then I usually qsy to 30m-cw. I would prefer to do just those 2 bands/mode on all of my activations, but then I feel guilty for not offering any ssb. I chase ssb, so I feel obliged to activate on 80/60m-ssb to be fair to those who I receive chaser points from. I never have any success on 40m-ssb.

Good to hear that the boots were waterproof & they didn’t hurt you
the 1st time on. Good boots won’t but I have had some rotters back in
skint days.

The new boots are cheapies. Hitec Trail, but very light and waterproof and warm, I guess only with time and more use will they prove their real worth.

Mike LA5SAA must be a ‘new customer,’ leastways I never worked him
before last time out.

Mike has been around for a while and usually calls in when I activate and is usually a big signal. He is a regular in Tom M1EYP’s breakfast club too.

I don’t trust those 'Hairy Alsatians ’ either despite them being much
respected for arresting criminals.

This one was very big, but out of control John. It’s human was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike as a dog handler and should be banned from ever owning a pet!!

Mike GW0DSP