Gw/nw-042... 27/12/2011 report

Hi,

Quick report on todays activation of GW/NW-042.
This was a joint activation with Mick 2E0YYY.
Mickey had decided he wanted to work HF which gave me the opportunity to work 2m.
Early start from my QTH (Mick was on time today - there is a first!) and an easy drive to the Ponderosa. Copious amounts of diesel later we arrived and the thought of Mick paying for a bacon sarnie meant we first went into the cafe for breakfast. Mickey was no-where to be seen when we got to the till. Doh! My wallet is getting very thin.
The weather was great this morning with the sun shining as we left the car park on a very depressing walk. Depressing due to the nature of the climb, decent, climb, decent, climb to get to the summit of NW-042 and due to the near constant moaning eminating from one short person once again carrying far too much stuff.
Set up, got a spot on and straight into trade on 2m ssb.
Switched to FM and trade was very brisk here too. Finished off after a couple of hours playing radio with a bit of time on 70cms.
Around 40 stations worked and 2 S2S aswell:)
Thanks to all stations worked and I am sorry if I missed anyone.
The walk back towards the Ponderosa (steep in places) was much quieter than the ascent…until I realised that Mickey was 50 yards behind me…
A very enjoyable day and I know that Mick will be on here to tell of his activation also.
Thanks again to all,
Until the next one (hopefully Friday)
John

In reply to G1STQ:
Hi John

Great to get a 2m S2S today from GW/NW-051 - I had a good time on 2m FM, it was nice to use this mode for a change, however I must admit that using SSB is still very much my cup of tea!

Many thanks to all my chasers today but especially to John G3WFK, Brian G4ZRP and Bob G6ODU for working me on 23cm FM - The joys of the North West, where people actually use this under used band and mode.

Many thanks all

Matt G(W)8 XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt, sorry I missed you for a S2S today. I got a bit bogged down on HF.

Will try and catch you for a S2S on Thursday, when I hope to work Roger MW0IDX too.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

Hopefully will link up with you on Thursday 0 WX looks wet but I will do them regardless! Need to build the 817 a waterproof box tomorrow!

Glad you had a good time today

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

Hopefully will link up with you on Thursday 0 WX looks wet but I will
do them regardless! Need to build the 817 a waterproof box tomorrow!

Ok Matt, good luck with the box…

Glad you had a good time today

Wasted half the morning, trying to get G1STQ out of the Ponderosa :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

I’m glad you had fun up on 51. It’s a really nice little hill that I always used to try to bag whenever I was down in Liverpool. Just 25mins to the top from the car park and such lovely views. There really isn’t anywhere to shelter so it’s best done when there isn’t much wind.

What always gets me is the sheer number of 2m FM contacts you bag with minimal equipement due to Foel Fenli’s location. I’ve never really tried pushing the boat out on 70cms from there but I’m sure a lot of those 2m FM contacts should be easy on 70cms. Then there’s 23cms. Bob G6ODU is an easy QSO from there, Brian G4ZRP is a bit harder. What’s impressive about contacts with old Jeremiah Fuzzchops is that his QTH about 30m below the summit of the wrong side of the hill he lives on. It’s a complete non-LOS path. I’m betting Steve GW7AAV was on shift or you’d have had 4 and would have qualified the hill on 23.

You’ll have to try Moel Gyw next time you come up that way. Only 1pt but another seriously pleasant summit.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy

Yes Indeed, after Brian described his set-up and location we could think that the main reason for success was due to many reflections caused by the high number of buildings in the area!! But Brian was 5-5/6 on 23cm compared to 4-2 on 2m FM! I suppose the gain of my Quadruple Quad made a big difference, rather than my simple Slim Jim on 2m FM.

Bob was worked easily on all 3 of my bands, and he noted that when I went vertical on 23cm the colinear on his house was marginally better! I think Steve must have been away from the shack, as you say with him I could have had 4 from one summit.

My walking friend Matt intimated a return journey was enough, last time he was in the area was when he was toward the latter part of the Offa’s Dyke - So Moel Gyw is a must. However I think Cadair Berwyn is next on the list for us two in April hopefully.

Matt G8XYJ