GW/NW-025 today, new radio & new antenna

Had a nice sunny walk up Allt Fawr today, eager to try out my new MTR v2 transceiver and new Summit Trapper 3 antenna.

The MTR v2 worked really well, still can’t believe how so much can be packed into such a small transceiver.

I used a LiPo battery charged at just below 12v and kept the radio on low power (about 3 watts).

I used SOTABeams new Summit Trapper 3 antenna, a trapped dipole resonant for the 30, 20 & 17m bands plus SOTAbeams mini pole. I have never used a trapped dipole before but this worked really well, light and easy to deploy, and an ideal companion for the MTR v2.

The band wasn’t really open on 17m, but I made quite a few contacts on 30 & 20m. The Palm paddle seemed to have a mind of its own at times, must clean the contacts again, or perhaps just try to improve my fist!

Enjoyable day out and fun trying out new equipment, thanks for the contacts!

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX

Welcome to the Weber fan club!
Sorry I missed your activation.

Pete

In reply to MW0IDX:
I saw your comments on the ‘Sprint’ group, the MTR sounds a great bit of kit, any idea/hint when the next production run will be Roger? I tried to buy Jim Crooke’s MTR today, but was too slow off the starting blocks.

Cheers

Keith GW4OKT

In reply to GW4OKT:
Hi Keith, yes it’s a great little radio. I’ve been following Steve’s radios for a while and each production of radios get snapped up straight away. Those who had not bought any of his radios before were given preference in the order que so I was lucky this time.

I’m sure he will have another offering in the near future but no news at the moment.

Roger mw0idx

In reply to MW0IDX:
Hi Roger, I’ve built a couple of PFR3s, very good receiver and easy to put together…I’ll look forward to the MTR with relish! In the meantime, I’ll finish off the Fuchs Tuner to hopefully use with it.

cheers

Keith GW4OKT

In reply to GW4OKT:
Steve has already said he’s unlikely to do another MTR Ver2 run.
This is because TenTec are no longer making small enclosures so he’s forced back to the smaller “Altoids” form factor.
Of course he may give into pressure and just kit it without the case! Let’s hope so, as I need one in my collection :slight_smile:
Pete

In reply to GW4OKT:

I`ll finish off the Fuchs Tuner

Reminds me of the famous explorer…

“Sir Vivian Fuchs For Antarctic” (Manchester Guardian 6-Dec-1963)

Made me smile.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Yes - when I Googled Fuchs, the explorer guy came up all the time…nowt on the ‘radio’ Arwed Fuchs!

Cheers

Keith GW4OKT