GW/MW Trip

Me and my dad Tom M1EYP will be activating some of the GW/MW SOTA summits we have left to do towards completing the GW/MW association from Sunday 18th August to Friday 23rd August. We will be staying in Rhayader.

Alerts are on SOTAwatch already, but dates and times are very approximate at the moment, it depends on weather and energy levels. Here are our activation plans:

Sunday 18th August - Crugiau Merched GW/MW-021

Monday 19th August - Drygarn Fawr GW/MW-003 and Pen y Garn-goch GW/MW-016

Tuesday 20th August - Carn Gafallt GW/MW-040, Gwastedyn Hill GW/MW-019 and Rhiw Gwraidd GW/MW-024

Wednesday 21st August - Aberedw Hill GW/MW-022, Gwaunceste Hill GW/MW-010 and Carneddau GW/MW-023

Thursday 22nd August - Great Rhos GW/MW-002

Friday 23rd August - Garreg Lwyd GW/MW-014, Cefn Cenarth GW/MW-039, Bryn y Fan GW/MW-018 and Garreg-hir GW/MW-017

I will be operating on 2m FM, so would appreciate it if anyone in the local area hears me calling CQ SOTA to work me, I also have backup on 40m SSB and 20m CW. My dad will be operating on 40m CW and 40m FT8, so replies to him calling CQ SOTA on there would be appreciated as well.

If anyone local to the area is welcome to meet us for a joint SOTA activation, meal or drink.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Thanks for the warning that you are both coming for a Rhayader tour. I got excited as there are 8 summits on the MW list that I haven’t yet chased (on a s2s basis) but you are only doing one of them (MW-014 Garreg Lwyd) and that is on Friday morning when I have the only regular appointment that I can’t shift!! :anguished: Assuming that you won’t have finished MW altogether then let me know when, 5, 12, 20, 29, 30, 36 and 37 are on the list (and 14 again??)

We’ll see what we can do to set up the odd s2s during the week - shame it is not a week later when we will be in Dollgellau and hoping to attack some of the local heights - monsoons and gales permitting! Best of luck, lovely part of the world.
73 Viki M6BWA

2 Likes

Hi Viki,

Thank you for letting me that you and Rod M0JLA will try and work us summit to summit next week while are are activating in GW/MW. Summits plans are very likely to change during the week we are there depending on weather and energy levels. It could be we activate Garreg Lwyd GW/MW-014 earlier that week then the Friday. If everything goes to plan, the only GW/MW SOTA summits we have left to activate are Plynlimon-Pen Pumlumon Fawr GW/MW-001, Pen y Garn GW/MW-004, Llan Ddu Fawr GW/MW-005, Banc Llechwedd-mawr GW/MW-007, Drosgol GW/MW-008, Esgair Ddu GW/MW-020, Disgwylfa Fawr GW/MW-038 and finally the notorious Upper Park GW/MW-032 which will be leaving till last, my dad Tom M1EYP has a few ideas on how we can get permission to activate that one. Looking at your list, we have have Llan Ddu Fawr GW/MW-005, Esgair Ddu GW/MW-020 and Garreg Lwyd GW/MW-014 to activate which are your ones you would like to chase summit to summit. Carnedd Wen GW/MW-012 we activated back in June when we were in Snowdonia, Hafod Ithel GW/MW-029, Stingwern Hill GW/MW-030, Pen-crug-melyn GW/MW-036 and Brandy Hill GW/MW-037 we have activated already and no plans to activate those summits again unless on the off chance my dad has a gig in those areas, however that is probably unlikely especially with Joe Longthorne having sadly passed away just recently. The most likely one of those though that my dad may activate again would be Stingwern Hill GW/MW-030 as that one isn’t too far away and has already activated back on his Birthday July just gone.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Now staying in Newbridge-on-Wye, not Rhayader. I didn’t like some of the recent bad reviews about the apartment that we booked in Rhayader so cancelled that and found a nice cottage in Newbridge-on-Wye which has a couple of pubs in it also.

Jimmy M0HGY

Absolutely anywhere would feel like 5 star luxury to me. But I have the benefit of experiencing one night at the Norbreck Castle Hotel in Blackpool…

1 Like

Thanks for the info - I assumed you had already visited most of those on my ‘wanted’ list. If you are thinking of moving anything to benefit me then don’t make it Thursday lunchtime as the dentist thinks I’m looking forward to visiting him then (I hadn’t quite got round ot putting it in the diary!!). I’ve chased Gt Rhos 8 times before (it’s rather popular round here as it is an easy 4 pointer - but not quite as easy as it was thanks to the enlargement of the danger area if you go up from the New Radnor side - a lovely valley) so won’t worry about missing you there.
Best of luck with the weather and thank you for putting up alerts early which gives others time to do some planning. We are not usually that sure what we will be doing until the night before - if then!

Viki M6BWA

1 Like

Hi Viki,

If we do make any activation changes, it will be due to weather and energy levels. The weather forecast at the moment looks to be dry mornings with showery afternoons so will need to keep an eye on that and also strong gusts of wind Sunday and Monday.

Thank you for the information about Great Rhos GW/MW-002, we weren’t planning to ascending this from the New Radnor side anyway, but ascending it from the north west side of this summit.

Hopefully work you summit to summit or maybe even meet up with you and Rod M0JLA for a joint SOTA activation, meal or drink.

Jimmy M0HGY

Here’s the photos and reports from this fabulous week in GW/MW:

GW/MW-021 Crugiau Merched - Crugiau Merched MW-021
GW/MW-003 Drygarn Fawr - Drygarn Fawr MW-003
GW/MW-016 Pen y Garn-goch - Pen y Garn-goch MW-016
GW/MW-040 Carn Gafallt - Carn Gafallt MW-040
GW/MW-019 Gwastedyn Hill - Gwastedyn Hill MW-019
GW/MW-024 Rhiw Gwraidd - Rhiw Gwraidd MW-024
GW/MW-022 Aberedw Hill - Aberedw Hill MW-022
GW/MW-010 Gwaunceste Hill - Gwaunceste Hill MW-010
GW/MW-023 Carneddau - Carneddau MW-023
GW/MW-002 Great Rhos - Great Rhos MW-002