GW/MW-003 Drygarn Fawr by GW4VPX

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that my recent activation of Drygarn Fawr is up on my blog http://gw4vpx.blogspot.co.uk/ Thanks to all the chasers and activators that contacted me. 73 Allan GW4VPX

My GPS track (also on ‘Mapping’ on the Sotawatch site)

Hiding from the cold breeze

Pen y Fan GW/SW-001 in the distance

Due to road closure we were forced to head for home past Llyn Brianne Reservoir.

5 Likes

Ah, one of my favourite GW/MW summits. Minus 9C en route and minus 7C when setting out from the parking spot which did not spoil a most enjoyable activation. MW-016 was activated later in the day, complete with pine needles due to thrashing up the hill to cut out the zig-zag. Still that didn’t affect the day and I can still remember the most welcome post-activation soup - Baxters of course (other soup varieties are available. :wink: )

73, Gerald G4OIG

3 Likes

Hi Gerald

On our way back we tried to avoid the zig-zag by following a track that joins the two bends and formed by the machine used to cut down the trees…mistake. a little further down it was covered by broken branches so really slowed our progress…in future we’re sticking to the road and the zig-zag :slight_smile: As you say a very nice summit with a sense of loneliness and being there during the week we thought we would not see anyone…wrong… because as we were leaving two walkers arrived from the East.

73 Allan

Hi Allan,

It is many years since Paul and I activated these summits, December 2008 in fact, yet the memory of them is probably better than where I went and what I did last week. Must be getting old or SOTA is infinitely more memorable! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

Yes I well remember somewhat gingerly traversing the sheets of ice on the lower reaches of the Abergwesyn mountain pass - one of my favourite roads ever :slight_smile:

Lovely hill - must go back again one day. Thanks Allan for stirring the memories!

73 de Paul G4MD

1 Like

Hi Allan
That’s one fat cairn. Makes it easy to remember that one.

Mike (27)

1 Like