Guru already 15 days - EA2/NV-072

It’s now been 15 days since Guru left us.

The void left by his absence is still present.

A few days ago I carried out an activation in Navarre, less than 30 km from his house, on a summit “Le Mendaur” which he would have liked to activate.
Weather conditions weren’t great for summit EA2/NV-072; very cloudy in the mountains creating a special atmosphere.
My head also in the clouds with memories of our times spent together. The atmosphere that day led me to believe that Guru presence was there around me…

During our last interview you told me to put more SOTA reports in the reflector so today I listened to you and this report was dedicated to you.

If there is a place where you can read a message, I think it’s here on the reflector

The Rando started from the village of Arantza in Navarre for 14 km of walking and 1000 meters of elevation. The chapel is at the top (moment of contemplation).

For info:

I am awaiting the response from the AFNR of my request for a special callsign in your homage.

Activation should start on April 22 with the callsign TM2IF

73’ Alain

IMG_2994

IMG_2994

Here are also some souvenir photos of the summits located in Navarre and Gipuzkua that I have activated in recent weeks.

EA2/NV-017 Adi summit

EA2/NV-017 Adi summit

EA2/NV-027 Corona

EA2/NV-022 Urculu

EA2/NV-051 Burdindogi

EA2/NV-051 Burdindogi

EA2/NV-056 Laxaga

EA2/NV-056 Laxaga

EA2/NV-054 Done Jakue

EA2/NV-058 Ereber

EA2/NV-068 Baraxueta

EA2/NV-096 Seanbe

EA2/NV-088 Iparla

EA2/NV-088 Iparla

EA2/NV-176 Pena de Alba

EA2/SS-005 Ernio

EA2/SS-005 Ernio

EA2/SS-008 Gazume

Summit that i expected to activate again with Guru next summer

Activation for the 57th anniversary

Activation for the 57th anniversary

38 Likes

Hello Alain,

thank you so much for these atmospheric pictures from “Le Mendaur” and also the others.

Looking at the them I could understand your feelings and it induces something in me.

Thanks you for remind of Guru. As long as someone has memories of him he is around us and isn’t gone.

73, Ludwig

4 Likes

Hello Alain , wonderful thoughts and feelings for Guru and the reasons for your activation :+1: Great photos too.

cheers, Geoff vk3sq

3 Likes

I heard you in QSO with Ignacio EA2BD/P on EA2/NV-073. It was pure luck that I had taken an SSB radio to try that day when I was on Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052. My first QSO on the rig ever was with Ignacio after your QSO. I was very pleased to make the S2S with you also. It was as if all the stars aligned, it’s rare for me to make SSB contacts.

73, Colin

5 Likes

27 days ago I had my last contact with Guru in CW on this place. No S2S but Park to Summit. He asks me about my ref and I had same difficulties to key that I’m on Pota not Sota. He understand and send best wishes.
I guess, it was his last activity.
Now I’m back on the place and my mind is by Guru
73 Chris

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

Guru last activation was in February the 28 Th on EA2/NV-042 Girizu Summit in Navarra near French border.

73’ Alain

3 Likes

As long as we think of him, he is with us. For me, too, there are always moments like this.

Guru was also on EA2/NV-012 on 28.2. Unfortunately, I noticed this very late and tried to reach him by mobile phone. A qso as a chaser would have been a complete for me.

In the evening we had a conversation via mail. It was his last one to me.

Here is an excerpt:

Today was a great SOTA day for me, as I earned 16 points, made 61 QSOs, 3 S2S and 2 DX USA from NV-012 and 53 QSOs, 1 S2S and 6 DX USA (including Alaska and California)
I reached both summits by car as I don’t feel strong enough to do the hikes. The chemos and the illness are taking so much toll out of me that I’m now 20Kg lighter than I was last June.
I’ll get my 5th chemo tomorrow and I just wanted to enjoy the mountains and ham radio Before the new set of bad days I’ll have again after tomorrow’s chemo.

73 Armin

3 Likes

Hello Alain.
Thank you for this activity report dedicated to Guru who, unfortunately, is no longer with us to climb the peaks. I hope he can, like others who died before him, watch over the SOTA community.
André f5ukl

3 Likes

Yes, I am very happy that I reached Guru at his last activation as well. And in addition in cw, a mode of operation that is still a little adventure for me.

I still remember very well a ssb qso last fall. He had received a very good prognosis from his doctor and was very excited. And we were very happy together.
All the more his sad announcement came so unexpectedly.
And when I heard him at the summit, I had already gained hope.
Now he is in peace.
Chris

3 Likes

Thanks dear Alain for your beautiful remembrance post and activation.
A group of friends are working also to setup a special call to honour him whenever possible.

As others said, we keep him alive in our souls.
73 Ignacio

5 Likes

Dear Alain,
Thank you for sharing the wonderful photo’s. Your memories have created a lasting impression of a wonderful man and his devoted friends that will never leave my heart.
73, fred

3 Likes