Gummers How

Just a big thank you to all of you that supported me yet again on another summit,Gummers How, and sorry to those who might have missed me because I was early.

I didn’t realise how short the walk was and it shouldn’t have been steep but my friend said it goes this way which was straight up, a very rocky stretch, this would not have been too bad but the heavy ruckstack containing radios and antennas, food, clothing, gps, camera’s, phones plus the telescopic mast sticking out of the top trying to pull you backwards. How is it I always end up going the hardest way

I made 14 contacts on 2mts and 7 contacts on 4mts incuding 1 S/S Which I think is very good for a Monday, nice to hear so many operators coming on to 4mtr’s

The equipment I used was Puxing and Wouxun radios both on 5 watts and 2 seperate antennas, homemade from ladder line mounted on a 7Mt telescopic mast

Thanks again, you the chasers make it all worth while, hopefully hear you all on the next summit

73’s Stephany G1LAT

In reply to G1LAT:

Did you find the easy way, Stephany?

Just for reference: Where the rocky scramble goes up to the left you follow an easy level path to the right which traverses around the summit and takes you up an easy slope on the northeast side.

One I shall definately repeat, a terrific viewpoint on a fine day!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Where the rocky scramble goes up to the left you follow an easy level path to the right which traverses around the summit and takes you up an easy slope on the northeast side.

Ah the kiddies route! Even the kiddies missed it when I went up with family and friends pre-SOTA. I’d even forgotten about it when Paul and I activated the summit in the dark and rain. :slight_smile: At least the scramble makes you feel it has somehow been worthwhile and it helps work up an appetite for a pint afterwards.

Stephany, I’m extremely jealous of your 7 contacts on 4m… obviously I don’t have the QSO pulling power that you do. Well done!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to G8ADD:

Where the rocky scramble goes up to the left you follow an easy
level path to the right which traverses around the summit and takes
you up an easy slope on the northeast side.

Ah the kiddies route! Even the kiddies missed it when I went up with
family and friends pre-SOTA. I’d even forgotten about it when Paul and
I activated the summit in the dark and rain. :slight_smile: At least the scramble
makes you feel it has somehow been worthwhile and it helps work up an
appetite for a pint afterwards.

I much prefer a bit of a scramble myself, Gerald, but I have to seek out easy ways now when Pauline is with me. Life can be so unfair, she is younger than me and loves the mountains, too, but her knees are giving out and mine seem good for a while yet!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
I insisted on the easy route down, I had the route on my GPS but my friend had insisted we go the other way, he admitted the easy way was much better
Great views from up there, will be going again, it was very cold and extremely windy on the lake side of the hill, but managed to grab G0PZO’s geocache

73’s Stephany G1LAT

In reply to G4OIG:
It makes it worth the trouble of changing antenna’s when you get quite a few contacts, and 3 of my regular 4mtr chasers were missing, maybe because i was early
As I mentioned before I quite like the scrambling up but it’s the weght of the rucksack wich makes you feel unstable, but as you said it makes you feel as though you have done something

73’s Stephany G1LAT

Our last time on Gummers How was fairly recently. It was at the end of a long day which had included driving from Macclesfield, Holme Fell and Lingmoor Fell. We were flagging on the stone steps approaching the summit, and the ‘scramble’ route (not sure it’s really a ‘scramble’) was simply not entertained for ascent or descent.

http://tomread.co.uk/gummer's.htm

We only went up that steeper approach once, the first time we did it, but found the other way, tucked around to the side, for the descent. We have only ever used the easier way since.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G1LAT:

but it’s the weght of the rucksack wich makes you feel unstable…

Yes Stephany… and how! I’ve almost been pulled backwards off some slopes by the weight of the backpack, particularly when I used to carry large SLABs to power the kit and a typical load was 15 to 17kg. The other hazard is the SOTApole which can get stuck under or catch on rocks when passing beneath overhanging rocks on a scramble - experienced this on a couple of the Snowdonia summits.

Pleased you made a good total on 4m from Gummers How. I’ve not had many takers on the band recently despite running a slim jim with the Wouxun. It has put me off somewhat, but no doubt I’ve just had a poor run and there are more QSOs waiting further down the log book.

73, Gerald