Grounding when /p

There is a considerable amount of literature and consensus regarding the need for a good RF ground when operating a base station and similarly, the need for a good earth for an antenna when mobile appears equally important.

However, I’m curious to know if any /p operators use a ground spike when out on the fells and if so, what methods and materials have proved to be beneficial (particularly with specific antennae), especially when attempting to keep carried kit to a minimum?

Regards

Martin
G8JGQ

In reply to G8JGQ:

I use a linked dipole Martin, with good results and have never used a ground spike yet.

I should imagine a ground spike would need to be used if using a long wire though.

73 Mike

In reply to G8JGQ:

I use a balanced antenna Martin.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8JGQ:

Hi Martin,

the need for a good RF ground when operating a base station and
similarly, the need for a good earth for an antenna when mobile

Good RF ground is also fairly good and light weight antenna on the hill, see for example

Imgur

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8JGQ:

Hi Martin,

I have only ever used balanced antennas with no ground connection when operating /P and have never had any problems. At home I use a W3EDP (84 foot long wire with counterpoises of various length) without ground connection and again find this satisfactory - I’ve not tried a similar setup in the field because of the great convenience of the inverted V configuration, but it might be worth a try.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G8JGQ:
If, like me, your base station is on the first floor, you will appreciate that a good RF ground means an artificial earth since the downlead to ground would become part of the antenna. This can have unfortunate effects!

On a rocky or stoney summit the ground conductivity is likely to be very low indeed due to sharp drainage in the frost-shattered rubble and crevassed bedrock and a ground spike is not likely to be very effective, even if you are able to drive it into the ground. On the other hand a peaty summit may well be the very place for an earth spike since the peat is very acidic and is mostly water (up to 80% by weight!) and you would have relatively little trouble driving the spike home.

I have experimented with a counterpoise laid straight onto rocky ground on 5 megs and found it quite effective.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8JGQ:

I have used one or more 1/4 wave or near 1/4 wave counterpoises when experimenting with long wire or loaded vertical antenna for HF. Seemed to work fine.

However, I tended to just see the longwire/counterpoise as just a half collapsed dipole (especially on rocky summits) and so ended up feeling like it was better to raise the whole antenna off the ground and reverted to a standard inv V dipole/doublet, linked or otherwise depending what I was doing.

73, Jon

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a folded dipole and a longwire/counterpoise which I’d like to experiement with too. I’ve also just received my SOTA 5 ele beam and pole set today and have a Par Electronics Endfedz for 10/20/40 on the way from the USA. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out on a regular basis soon (a number of LD summits are within a short distance from my QTH) and become an active SOTA programme member.

I’ve recently returned to amateur radio after a gap of many years and my, how things have changed! Good to see the spirit of friendship and co-operation is still alive and well (or at least is has been towards me so far).

I’ll be the first to admit I feel like I’ve forgotten more than I ever knew and the learning curve is proving to be pretty steep so please be gentle if you work me!

Best wishes

Martin
G8JGQ

In reply to G8JGQ:

Good luck and I look forward to working you Martin…

I’ll be the first to admit I feel like I’ve forgotten more than I ever
knew and the learning curve is proving to be pretty steep so please be
gentle if you work me!

…and you’ll be brushing up your CW too I assume? :slight_smile:

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Thanks for your kind wishes but I just knew someone was going to ask about CW… :wink:

In reply to G8JGQ:

In reply to G0AZS:

Thanks for your kind wishes but I just knew someone was going to ask
about CW… :wink:

Hey Marc, don’t be such a wind up! Must say it was good to work G0AZH at the weekend, Hi… and G4SHH as well. And that’s without the benefit of freezing weather and the shivers.

73, Gerald