Great walk, rubbish activation, average soup

Is this what middle age is? There would once be a time when a joint activation of G3CWI and M1EYP would include sometimes both, but usually one of his children, and sometimes one, but usually both of mine. Fast forward to Sunday 24th November 2013 and all four of them had either declined the invitation, or weren’t even wasted time on by asking.

As I had Sunday dinner with the family planned at the legendary Weston Balti Raj, I didn’t want to go too far, so we agreed on Kinder Scout for our summit. The initial plan was to park at the Olde Nag’s Head, Edale and climb onto the Kinder plateau via Grindsbrook Clough. We would then make for the summit ridge and across to Kinder Low, before descending via the Pennine Way by Edale Rocks, Jacob’s Ladder, Lee Farm and Upper Booth. That was until we found the road out of Chapel-en-le-Frith towards Blue John Cavern was closed.

Instead, we now drove around the Derbyshire roads until we were on the A624 road from Hayfield to Glossop. Our new intended approach would be on the path from SK032902 on this road. Opposite this is the turning to Charlesworth, and on the right hand side of this, around 50 yards from the junction, is a small rough parking area.

The concessionary footpath was followed in an Easterly direction. It was very muddy and potentially tricky without the firmness afforded by the cold weather. We were soon passing the cairn on Burnt Hill, and glancing across to the left wondering what the white trig point was. (Later research revealed this to be “Harry Hut”, 441m ASL).

The rest of the way to Mill Hill (544m ASL) was on stone flagged paths, which continued as we merged with the official Pennine Way route ahead of the steep climb onto the Kinder plateau. The walk continued along the Pennine Way around the edge of the Kinder plateau until we veered uphill and away from the edge to attain an operating position well within the activation zone. Richard was quickest out of the blocks in setting up, so I found myself another sheltered position about 200m away.

The shelter was necessary, because some unexpected fine rain was now the order of the next couple of hours. This was a bonus for Richard, who was wanting to test out the waterproofness of one of his new products. It did mean though that both of us spent much time inside our respective bothy bags for the activation.

I indulged in my lunch, which was a flask of Sainsbury chicken noodle soup. Apprehension surrounded the first sip as I vividly recalled the dreadfulness of Sainsbury Moroccan chick pea soup from the previous weekend. Thankfully, this variety was much more agreeable, yet by no means superb. I expect I will be sticking to Baxters rather than supermarket own brands in future!

After the excellent conditions and results of the previous day, I found myself disappointed with the 12m band. Richard agreed that conditions were pretty rubbish, and I made just 18 QSOs in one hour and twenty minutes of operating. The split was 12 on CW and 3 each on SSB and PSK31. My best DX was Rich N4EX in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA while the most interesting contact was arguably Veljo ES0OU on Saaremaa Island IOTA EU-034, worked on 12m PSK31.

A mediocre activation was made worse by the incessant fine drizzle and increasing wind making it ever more difficult to maintain comfort - and dryness within the confines of the bothy bag. Furthermore, 3G coverage was very patchy at best, and non-existent at other times, so self-spotting was a drag. Therefore I was pleased when I heard Richard’s voice telling me he had finished and was packed up. I wasted little time in packing up myself!

By the time we commenced the return walk, it had stopped raining, and we were soon enjoying the stroll and improving views. The walk was definitely the highlight of the day out - the SOTA activation was irritating and rubbish by comparison! A good pace was maintained, and we were back at the car by 2.15pm. Plenty of time to call in at the Lantern Pike in Little Hayfield for a couple of pints of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord ale and a bowl of chips.

There were not many recognised SOTA chasers in the log, but many thanks to those that did manage to work me.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

After the excellent conditions and results of the previous day, I
found myself disappointed with the 12m band. Richard agreed that
conditions were pretty rubbish, and I made just 18 QSOs in one hour
and twenty minutes of operating.

Totally agree, Tom. Today, the 12m band was a far cry from yesterdays rich pickings up on G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor.

My visit to G/TW-005 Normanby Top, produced just 27 12m contacts with Rich N4EX and Bill W1OW the only North Americans to make it into my log. The other bright spots were FY4 French Guiana, 8P6 Barbados and KP4 Puerto Rico.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I heard you working Jim 8P6GE Mick. He was a good strong signal here in Scotland. Sadly everyone in Europe and Russia was calling him. Jim had the most wonderful, laconic laid-back style to working the pileup. He described the blue sky and warmth as I sat in a snow drift watching the mist swirl around me! I decided any contacts were better than calling into a pileup with 5W and went back to 24.9065.

Conditions were variable, DXish contacts were N4EX (CW&SSB), N7UN, W3ASA, LU3EMM & 4L4C. I heard an A61 I think go split and deposit his pileup on another DXpedition!

Of course the mist cleared whilst I was working a pile up of sorts and came back when I got up for some photos. Walk out was nice in the clear sky. Lots of wildlife, 11 (I counted them) deer including a stag with small antlers, 1 ptarmigan and what I’m sure was an eagle on the way down the A9. It looked much bigger than a buzzard which you see all the time here.

19x SSB, 7x CW in 1hr 25mins of operation.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I saw your 12m spot and had a quick listen. Heard you working Rich N4EX, I think he gave you a 4/4 report. With the SFI down to 127, I don’t hold too much hope for my planned visit to G/TW-004 with Dave G4ASA, tomorrow :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You had some crazy callers today, Mike! There was that VE2 who gave nineteen consecutive calls right over a couple of contacts, beaten only by the guy who dropped in “ZH” twenty nine times consecutively - when they’re that bad you can’t help starting to count!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi!
I think I’ve suffered the same auto-repeat-robotic-fixed VE2 station, but in my case on 14 Mhz SSB…

There is a spanish said, ±: “The bad , if shared, less bad”

:wink:
73 de Mikel

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy,

26 12 m QSO’s in under 90 minutes, 18 in 80 min, 17 in an outing!

Luxury lad luxury.

And some get to have a couple of pints with chips after then home to a special dinner.

Luxury lad luxury.

Ron,
VK3AFW/AX3AFW

In reply to M1EYP:

… I made just 18 QSOs in one hour and twenty minutes of operating. …

I don’t know, but this seems to me a pretty good QSO rate, considering that there was a CW HF contest on and all …

Try an unannounced VHF activation in Northern Germany, you’ll have trouble to make the four contacts needed for the activation to count in that time :wink:

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Now today was much more fun Mickey. 1st you had an S2S with GM, me! That should be pride of your log :slight_smile: Great fun winkling you out of the QSB and round the world echoes.

In 1hr 15m I worked 17x CW and 9x SSB on 12m on a Monday! Strewth!

KF4MH in Alabama was a new state on 12m for me. Most QSOs were either Eastern USA or Russia/Ukraine with a few Greek stations.

However, nicest DX was JW9JKA on Bear Island who gave me 59+40 for my 4.5W SSB signal. XT26D was pounding in at well over S9 but again, everyone was calling. I don’t have the patience to call in a pileup for long. I sure everyone must have worked them by now judging by the continuous hell there is 5up from his frequency.

All that sort of makes up for setting off with a sidepocket unzipped on my rucksack. Now I’m missing a pair of Steptoe gloves and my universal cable with enough connectors to connect any of my SOTA antennas to my either SMA or BNC. I can make another one up in an hour or so but I’m kicking myself for being so dumb as to not do my final check before leaving that everything was zipped, shut, attached and nothing left on the ground. Grrr!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Now today was much more fun Mickey. 1st you had an S2S with GM, me!
That should be pride of your log :slight_smile: Great fun winkling you out of the
QSB and round the world echoes.

In 1hr 15m I worked 17x CW and 9x SSB on 12m on a Monday! Strewth!

Hi Andy,

To say I was surprised to hear you from GM is an understatement! You were very weak but workable from GM/SS-172. A very interesting days radio on the 12m band, indeed.

I was qrv on 12m at 1055 and my first contact was Mick M0MDA, who said the band was dead. I managed to drag 7 contacts out of the gloom before I gave up and worked Nick G4OOE/P on the 40m band, who was up on NP-009 Buckden Pike. Anyhow, 38 12m contacts including XT26DJ Burkina Faso, a rare one for SOTA I should imagine, as well as 16 North American contacts.

The 20m band produced just 5 contacts, however, 4U1ITU Ulrich gave me a surprise call and we had a nice chat.

All in all, very hard work from G/TW-004 Bishop Wilton Wold, for 52 contacts.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike,

The band was dead before you arrived on the summit today but it defiantly picked up as the day went on before I lost all signals around 16.30 UTC as it stayed to get dark in Leeds.

Well done on your S2S with Andy MM0FMF. The 12m band never ceases to amaze me with the contacts that can be made with limited power and simple antennas. My best contact on 12m today was HK3C in Columbia, I have worked John before on 10m a couple of years ago but this was our first QSO on 12m.

I hope your next activation is less hard work on 12m and thanks very much for today’s and all our QSOs, I appreciate the points and all the effort you and all other activators put in.

Hope to work you again soon.

73 de Mick M0MDA

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mikey

Also heard you on from GM/SS-227, Saturday afternoon around S1/2 (no significant fade) on 12M ragchewing with a State-side station . Not much point in calling you as I was running about 3W to my 40M dipole in a doublet configuration (horizontal polarisation of course - presume you were vertical?) and I think you were running more ‘welly’. Now CW - that might have been a different matter, might have been able to get your attention - hi!

Jack (;>J
GM4COX

PS; Good of course to work Dave and yourself on 60M in the morning - c-ya’s

The duo of Richard G3CWI and Tom M1EYP were again snubbed by their families, and therefore were, as is increasingly common, “childless” for a SOTA outing on Sunday 1st December 2013. It seems not even winter bonus points will do it for Jimmy M0HGY any more, it has to be a new unique or meeting with a SOTA activator he has not yet met.

Foel Goch GW/NW-039 and Mwdwl-eithin with me and Richard failed to tick any of the above boxes for Jimmy, and Liam decided to bail out at 6am that morning. Hence I was uncharacteristically ten minutes early in picking up Richard from across town.

A good drive through drizzle delivered us to Ruthin for a breakfast at the Wetherspoons pub there. I indulged in the Eggs Benedict and a mug of coffee. We then continued down the A494 and onto the A5, before turning into the country lanes through Llangwm and up to the usual parking spot beside the track to Cwm-llan.

Despite this being a very easy walk, I never enjoy the initial slog up a couple of sloping fields. Nonetheless, this only takes around 15 to 20 minutes, and then comes the always-enjoyable level walk along the lip of Cwm-llan. Then it was time to pass through the gate and climb the stile into the field on the right, and follow the faint trodden meandering path up to the summit.

Richard insisted it was my turn to have first choice of operating spot. Unfortunately, I didn’t fully realise the significance of this, and so accepted a nice sheltered position a few metres in lee of the trig point.

On 24MHz, I made 39 QSOs, which were 3 each on SSB amd PSK31, and 33 on CW. I was able to hear and identify Steve GM1INK/P on Blackwood Hill GM/SS-199, but couldn’t make myself heard. Nonetheless, a S2S contact did arrive in the form of Gyula HA2VR/P on Bugyihó HA/KM-008. Best DX, by some distance, was YV - Venezuela.

About the time that I had run out of stations to work on 12m, Richard had completed his sweep of 15m down to 40m on his multiband aerial, and was also ready to descend. The gradient of Foel Goch is very “descent friendly”, so the return to the car was reasonably quick.

We now headed over to Mwdwl-eithin GW/NW-047 for the day’s other planned activation.

Tom M1EYP

Following Foel Goch GW/NW-039 on Sunday 1st December 2013, we made the short drive down the A5 and then north up the A543. We easily found the entrance to the quarry, where we parked ahead of a walk to the summit of Mwdwl-eithin GW/NW-047.

This was never a favourite of mine from the past, although it was one of Richard’s. On this occasion, I found myself enjoying the walk and making reasonably quick progress even after the farm track disappeared and was replaced by heather-hopping and bog-trotting.

Underfoot conditions remained unideal, albeit far from prohibitive, after crossing the fence and angling right towards the summit. Richard and I then picked our own routes up the final mound to the substantial summit shelter and other bits of walls.

Of course it was now Richard’s turn to have first dabs on the operating spot, and surprise surprise, he selected one of the several nicely sheltered positions amongst the summit structures. Kicking myself for my naivety, I sloped off towards a small collection of rocks down by a fence.

My activation kicked off with two consecutive S2S QSOs - Mike 2E0YYY/P on Gun G/SP-013 and Steve GM1INK/P on Larriston Fell GM/SS-161. Then I cracked on with the 12m CW stuff, which was, as expected, dominated by North American chasers at this time. I finished with 37 QSOs on 12m, which were 6 on SSB and 31 on CW. The NA count was 26 - so a sizeable majority of the QSO total.

Two nice bits of DX came when my CW CQ calls were answered by KP3W (Puerto Rico) and ZS6UT (South Africa). I finished the rest of my luncheon flask of mulligatawny soup. But it was unnecessary as I already had a warm glow inside from all the DX!

But it was soon time to go. Little more than one hour of daylight remained, and visibility was not great. Periodic checking of map and compass, combined with maintaining a minimum level of concentration enabled an uneventful return to the car in the quarry.

Darkness then fell as we were changing footwear and removing coats. Disaster then struck as I copped for a flat tyre only a short distance up the A543! The delay from this “slight inconvenience” meant that we were a bit late getting back to Macclesfield, but both agreed it had still be a very enjoyable day’s walking.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thank you for sparing us all of the details.

Sorry Richard, I did miss a bit out. Those two bits of medium-wave “DX” we heard in the car were 1161kHz Radio Tay, Dundee, and 549kHz Spirit Radio, Co. Donegal.

Tom M1EYP