Great Rhos GW/MW-002 Report

GW/MW-002 - Great Rhos (31 QSOs)
Equipment: Yaesu VX-6, MFJ-1714, Yaesu FTM100DE (not used), Yaesu FT891, BandHopper III & Tactical Mast, 8400mAh LiFePo4

December has returned once again, and with it comes those juicy SOTA bonus points. To ease myself back into activating - having put my feet up for a bit too long after returning from the arctic in September - I thought I’d try something relatively easy.

I took the approach from the north, there is a small patch suitable for one or two cars to park at 52.297405, -3.214580. I used a GPX route from the SOTA Maps website, but the walk is straightforward enough, mostly following a farm track and then forest fire road. With the bonus points this was an easy 7 pointer that was over not long after it started. I think if you had an off-road 4x4 (and access permission) you could drive to the summit. I spent about an hour at the trig point operating on 2m, 70cm and 20m. It was icy, about 1°C with a steady wind.

The approach is sheltered by forest but one is reminded it is now winter when arriving at the windy and exposed summit plateau.

The trig point made for a convenient mast holder, saving a few minutes. There is no shortage of space for antenna at the summit.

Conclusion

The activation on both VHF and HF was a success. It was good to work some of the usual suspects on 2m. As ever there was a massive pileup on HF with many stations calling in. ODX was W1OW at ~5100km. VHF/UHF QSOs were made with 5w and the HF QSOs were 50w.

Thanks to all the chasers :+1:.

5 Likes

Hi Richard @M1HAX
Was nice to work you for a new summit and for the first time :slight_smile:
But you copied wrong my call at 12:22z : F5JKK is the correct one :+1:
I hope to see you soon
73 Éric F5JKK

1 Like

Éric, thanks for pointing that out - my notebook got smudged! I will correct the log.

1 Like

Thanks Richard 73 Éric

1 Like