GPS device - advice and help please (Part 1)

Sold!

Whilst the debate continues on which GPS Device (or maybe phone?) this is a clear cut, no-brainer upgrade from the flimsy, open on one edge, plastic ring binder pouch thing I’ve been using for my printed map. Thanks for tip!

1 Like

I used during many years severals GPSs devices, usually Garmin, like GPSMap 62s, Oregón, Dakota 20…all kind of GPS works FB, of course.

But the century XXI brings, IMO, better options (and free) for explore tracks and follow routes.

For example Mappy.cz, a free local Maps (no needs 4G) for android and iOS.

I use mainly WIKILOG (premium version 9,99 euros/year) It allows me follow routes better than any Garmin. Of course gives the option of send vía Internet a real position to our family.

2 Likes

I very much hope to be collecting some completes in HB9 land before the FN rally. Having written about why I use a dedicated GPS, my navigation aid here will be a 2016 vintage Motorola Moto G 4G. It has a 32GB SDcard with topo maps for DL,F,HB9, HB0, OE, I and also has Oruxmaps installed. This is fine for non-challenging walks in good weather. It also means I can leave my actual phone for comms use. £10 for a SIM that will give me 12Gb of data as it looks like my hire car wont have a GPS enabled (They want Eu15/day to enable it… aye, jog on). to handle Google Maps. The only issue is it does not support 4G voice calling and may be stuck finding any 2G in HB9 for voice calls. Should be OK for 2G in DL. But it’s really only designed for mapping this trip as my real phone is for all the normal phone stuff and does do 4G voice calling.

1 Like

Use OpenStreet Maps… They are much better than the original maps…
very detailled. …at least for most countries in Europe.

73s
Ingo

1 Like

The ortlieb cases are great and well worth the initial outlay

2 Likes

Just got hold of two of these in A4 size - they look really good and just the right size. Now to try them on the hill…

Thanks for the tip,
Rob

1 Like

To be fair, Scotland is no way as busy as the honeypot areas of the Lake District or Snowdonia, Langdale & Ambleside MRT have been the busiest MRT in the UK for decades.

There is a massive flaw with any GPS device in that you need to set the waypoints correctly, there was one fatality I remember not from Red Screes, the person concerned had gone out in foggy conditions and using a GPS device and was going from waypoint to waypoint in a straight line until they tumbled over a cliff edge!

This is why you need not only be able to use a map but relate to what is around you, which could be simply recognising the twists and turns in a path to other features around you.

1 Like

As a minimum, if you carry a map, compass plus GPS, at least the GPS can tell you where you are. You can then correlate this to the map. It makes sense to use them together sometimes, as the map allows you to see the bigger picture.

My first GPS was a garmin gps12xl. That was in the days of selective availability. One time we summited Ben Nevis at 9pm in the dark, in a whiteout. Couldn’t trust the GPS, so walked back down roped up, 50m at a time on a compass bearing until we saw the lights of Fort William below.

That was a long night, but the only safe way to do it. I suppose my point is that a total reliance on the electronics is never a good thing.

1 Like

That’s not a flaw in the GPS but a flaw in the user. The flaw being they’re too stupid be on a mountain.

2 Likes

Actually I think there is a flaw in modern nav training (assuming of course that the individual has had any!). Most nav trg is paper based and then electronics is added afterwards. At some point I think we’re going to have to acknowledge progress and the fact that most people’s primary means of navigation these days is electronic. The paper maps (which I still support) are the secondary means of nav.

You can’t automate mountain navigation, which is actually much more than being able to read a map!

Too many years ago I completed a summer MTLB training and assessment - and I still have a copy of the textbook - Langmuir I think on the shelf - somewhere, and there is even the vague possibility in an emergency I could crochet a rope stretcher whilst waiting for help… This was all pre GPS. Has anyone done this more recently? - it would be interesting to compare how it is now taught and what - if any emphasis is put on the use of technology…

1 Like

@M1HAX Richard has just completed his.

1 Like

For GPS I use a Garmin Fenix loaded with OSM basemaps, and OS Maps on my phone. If the journey is pre-planned I’ll create a route using the Garmin Connect website and load it on to the watch. The heatmap routing feature in Garmin Connect is really helpful.

As for the Mountain Leader syllabus, it’s still all about the map and compass skillset, rather than GPS. GPS devices are not allowed to be used during the assessment week. The idea is to simulate leading a group in the worst case scenario - batteries dead, whiteout, etc… I have also done the three NNAS navigation awards which are quite good.

1 Like

Good! Too many people rely on technology. If the battery dies or the electronics fail they will be completely stuck.

3 Likes

I agree with you. However good training on navigation would highlight those risks and include measures to address them. We don’t teach people to drive a horse and cart before they can learn to drive a car. There is absolutely still a requirement to learn the basics (eg map and compass); my view is that people should be taught to use electronics correctly (ie including the risks and how to manage them). Even the RN has moved on from teaching all Seamen officers how to calculate positions from star sights by the tables (they input the figures into a computer).
And for anyone who thinks GPS nav is foolproof and doesn’t need training; there are countless records of drivers taking wrong turnings because their sat nav told them to!

3 Likes

After all the great feedback and information above, I have treated myself to a ‘Garmin GPS 66i’. With this model, I can use it as my map…spot on a summit…alert SOS if in trouble and also send messages!

Thanks all :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

9 Likes

I do have a basic Garmin GPS but won’t need it on this trip to FN via Prague. The places we will go are well aired by previous activators such as OK2PDT DB7MM HB9DIZ DF3MC and I have GPX tracks from them as they helpfully upload their tracks to SOTAMAPS and SOTLAS. The app I use is Locus classic and all summits and the guys tracks in Germany and Czech are all pre-loaded:

2 Likes

Looks good @G4OBK Phil! Enjoy your trip. I’ve not got a station at my home QTH at present, so won’t be able to call in sorry.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at GPS device - advice and help please (Part 2).