Google Street View expanded

I haven’t seen this widely publicised yet.

Google Street View have just launched their next phase and they now cover over 95% of the UK roads. I’ve had a quick look around and it covers lots of quite remote parts which is ideal for planning a parking spot for activations etc.

If you’re not familiar with it, go here:

enter in a postcode, location etc. then pick up and drag the little yellow man (next to the “zoom” bar) and drop him on the road you’re interested in and have a look around. Drag and click to move your view perspective.

Another useful planning tool.

Regards,
Dave.

In reply to G7SKR:

I am slightly shocked that you had not seen all the stuff on TV, in the newspapers and all over the net, but anyway it should be most useful as you suggest.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed so far, because I saw the van on three separate occasions around here and I am not on there, except in Shotton High street near the Station where I am obscured by the vehicle in front, there is a White Brown’s Furniture van behind me. The resolution is okay but antenna spotting is made difficult by the joins in the images, which always seem to be in the wrong place. The photos were taken last spring around here as all the trees have blossom on them and it was a Tuesday because our bin bags are in the road.

We just need someone to walk up every route up every Marilyn with a camera too.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

In reply to G7SKR:

I am slightly shocked that you had not seen all the stuff on TV

Indeed I have seen it on TV, internet press etc and all the privacy controversy along with it. The bit I haven’t seen widely publicised and the reason for the post is that they have now expanded to cover 95% of all UK roads.

The initial phase was just 25 cities. As of today, it’s now 95%. The places I’ve looked at so far w.r.t. SOTA (i.e. places I’ve already been) have had good coverage. The recently demoted Raw Head G/SP-016 even covers the dirt track up Coppermine Lane.

Regards,
Dave.

In reply to G7SKR:

The bit I haven’t seen widely publicised and the reason for the post is that they have now expanded to cover 95% of all UK roads.

That’s the bit I mean, they have been publicising all over that today was the day. I am just waiting for the fun bits that always crop up when people find the odd bits of strangeness. It sounds like a good way of checking out the area before you get lost in the back lanes on the way to a summit. I will have to check my itinerary for our spring break using it tonight when Helen is here to give me the list of summits she has in mind. DC/SC this time.

Steve

In reply to G7SKR:

It’s astounding as coverage is almost as far as Cape Wrath. This will make planning parking etc. so much easier.

Waaaah!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Cape Wrath

Cape Wrath - 2007
A dark, psychological thriller filmed entirely in Kent.

That’s not very far up! or do you mean the Scottish Cape Wrath? ;0)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Yes.

I’ve already located 1 parking place for my upcoming NS/SI expedition. All work in the office has now stopped. Everyone was checking what their house looked like. I mean it’s not like they’ve not seen it before!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve worked out that the pictures of my street must have been taken about July 2009.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I’ve always been quite impressed by Street view but so far my area has been unavailable. I must say I am very impressed with what I have seen in the past 20 hours, & yes, they have also chopped off part of one my antennas HI!

They seem to have done a very thorough job of covering more remote areas & have even covered the single track lane on which I encountered ice last Sunday on my way to Fair Snape Fell.

An excellent tool!

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GW7AAV:
Quote: “I have to admit to being a little disappointed so far, because I saw the van on three separate occasions around here and I am not on there, except in Shotton High street near the Station where I am obscured by the vehicle in front”

My xyl had great delight pointing out that I am there with my dog and had been greatly foreshortened in the image - I need all the height I can get! I remember the vehicle passing but the pictures of our shop/gallery were taken much later in the day as there are cars on the street.

Barry GM4TOE