Google Latitude

Do any of you guys use Google Latitude, so chasers, activators and the amateur radio community can track your progress up the hills?

https://www.google.com/latitude/b/0

I use it for hilltopping/portable work and find alot of contacts use this to locate or track other amateur’s progress/location.

Dave

M0GSM

In reply to M0GSM:

No. If I need to let people see my location on a map I use APRS. Either via a radio or by mobile phone to APRS app that I myself and Rick M0RCP produced.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0GSM:
APRS, with a cell phone.
http://tinyurl.com/OH9FZU

In reply to M0GSM:

I have been using it, but only amongst friends, I didn’t know it could be opened up to the general public…I will have to try that.

Tom

In reply to OH9FZU:

That’s exactly how I see it…a poor mans APRS ; )

In reply to N2YTF:

In reply to M0GSM:

I have been using it, but only amongst friends, I didn’t know it could
be opened up to the general public…I will have to try that.

Tom

I dont believe you can? It is still subject to exchanging position info with individuals. So only those who you have opened up your account will see your location.

Not exactly APRS, but its functional, and all in nice compact wee Smartphone.

Dave

M0GSM

In reply to M0GSM:
So true, but still better than nothing.
Also it’s an easy way for myself to check my locator.

There are many cell phone trackers what to use, Google latitude and APRS are just few samples.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

If you have a smart phone and service as well on the mountain you might as well run one of the aprs apps on your phone.

I run OpenAPRS on my Iphone.

Tom, N2YTF

P.S. In the next week or so I will make my first european activation from Sweden. I will be in Sweden for two weeks with the XYL (she is a swede). But my smartphone dosen’t work here! I will run aprs (N2YTF-7 from my ht)

In reply to N2YTF:

In reply to OH9FZU:

If you have a smart phone and service as well on the mountain you
might as well run one of the aprs apps on your phone.

I run OpenAPRS on my Iphone.

Tom, N2YTF

P.S. In the next week or so I will make my first european activation
from Sweden. I will be in Sweden for two weeks with the XYL (she is a
swede). But my smartphone dosen’t work here! I will run aprs
(N2YTF-7 from my ht)

Hi Tom,

ok thanks for the advise. I have been looking at the APRS apps and might have a play.

Going to Kinder Scout / Peak Distrist this weekend so hope to do my first activation for 2011.

Enjoy Sweden and your first European activation.

Dave

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I googled your c/s and APRS and saw the previous post, and the good work you have done on your APRS programme. I have been looking at the APRS apps as well.

I am planning to activate Kinder Scout this weekend, so might have a play with Latitude and APRS apps see what’s what.

Dave

In reply to N2YTF:

P.S. In the next week or so I will make my first european activation
from Sweden. I will be in Sweden for two weeks with the XYL (she is a
swede). But my smartphone dosen’t work here! I will run aprs
(N2YTF-7 from my ht)

Just buy yourself a swedish prepaid simcard?

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

Maybe it’s Tom’s mobile as the USA GSM and UMTS technologies are slightly different in terms of frequency and modulation. They use a different flavour of WCDMA.

You know our cousins across the pond like to do things differently ; )

Dave

In reply to M0GSM:

The problem is that I have an Iphone 4 from Verizon, which does not take sim cards. I do also have an older Nokia phone from the states and we have slipped a sim card in that, but its a very simple phone. I checked into Lattitude from the apartment we are staying in, and I have been running aprs from my HT (excellent coverage in Stockholm). The Iphone 4 from AT&T does take sim cards…

We are trying to plan when in our remaining week I will try for an activation, and time is getting tight. If I activate a summit in Sweden during the week during the day, will I get many SOTA chasers?
Keep in mind there might be no APRS coverage near the mountain, I will not have Lattitude or OpenAPRS, and I couldnt be too shure of exactly when I would I would be at the summit.

Tom, N2YTF

In reply to N2YTF:

Tom, if you have a phone that is working in Sweden then you can always spot yourself with an SMS. Now that’s not APRS but at least you will get onto SOTAWATCH and chasers will know you are on the summit. It’s also possible to send APRS posits via SMS but this may be expensive for you if you are roaming and the message format is designed for an app to create the SMS so it’s a bit opaque if you want to type them in by hand!

email me your cell number in Sweden to mm0fmf AT hotmail.com (do the obvious) and I can set you up on the European SMS system. That will at least allow you to increase the chances that people are listening for you.

Andy
MM0FMF