GM4OBK GM/SS-256 Grey Hill Monday

Activation report from last Monday is here

73 Phil

11 Likes

That’s a summit with fine sea views. I’m impressed by your QSO to Indonesia, I’ve yet to get outside Europe but I’m going to go back to using a linked dipole for at least the next activation and park the ATU and random wire for a while. The latter is very convenient and I can whizz up and down the bands but for say 20m CW the dipole should be better. I hope! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovely views there, and views of Ailsa Craig brought back fond memories of my trip to Arran. A very distinctive lump of rock is Aisla.

2 Likes

Yes Mark. I knew the lighthouse keeper who was once on Ailsa Craig - before the light was automated, this was Donald GM0KCY . Donald moved to Corsewall Point Lighthouse north of Stranraer and he gave me my own private tour of the lighthouse there in 1989. Lost touch with him in the 1990s when he retired and moved to Girvan. Would love to go to Arran if I get the chance.

Yes John, I am a believer in the balun free link dipole fed with RG-174. Nice and light. I use silicon insulated wire, its more tolerant of temperature changes and more flexible. I’m about to build one with 22 SWG wire 40m-30m-20m for an upcoming SOTA Tour as I won’t need the 60m band on that trip.

Good luck, you should do better I reckon with a resonant dipole than with an ATU matched antenna. Its unusual to work Indonesia QRP from a summit though. Can’t say it is an everyday experience.

73 Phil

PS Thanks for the 40m CW QSO on Wednesday from G/LD-031 - you got the bottle to use the mode on a summit. Well done!

2 Likes

I had an attack of “summit brain” as I think Mark called it at one point and it completely messed up my keying. But I will keep at it while there are still a few out there with the patience to reply to my efforts. :slight_smile:

The challenge will come when I get a S2S and I have to copy a summit ref if there isn’t a spot to read on SOTAWwatch. :rofl:

1 Like

You don’t need to worry so much about getting the ref John. In difficult copy condx if I ain’t got the SOTA Ref first time whether its on Phone or Morse I don’t bother asking for a repeat. I either trust in viewing any consistent SOTA Watch spots or check the oeprators log when it goes into the database to confirm the reference.

73 Phil

4 Likes

Wonderful summit sea view!!
Congrats for your report, pics and DX!

2 Likes