GM/WS-091 Beinn na Lap Activation Report

A party of nine gathered at Bridge of Orchy Station to get the 10:45 train to Corrour, mainly to celebrate the end of my wife’s 25 year odyssey around the Munros. I, of course, had in mind a “little radio” while up there!

We left Corrour station under overcast skies, but it was at least dry and relatively still. No midges in evidence, what a bonus.

We were on the summit in about two hours and completed the celebrations with sparking rose (neither Sue nor I really like dry Champagne) and “last Munro cake” made by our friend Mark.

Once we had eaten I got the radio gear out, only to discover that in all the messing about at Bridge of Orchy I had left the down lead for the Sota Beam in the car. So that meant 2m Diplole only. I hoisted it as high as I could, but knew this remote hill was going to be a challenge to activate on 2m FM with just 5W.

Amazingly Robin (GM7PKT) came back to my first CQ. He had “gone mobile” to the top of Rannoch Moor in the hope of hearing me. Thank you Robin for the call and spot. Next was MM3WJZ (whose name I inexplicably forgot to write down!) on the summit of Bynack More GM/ES-010. It was a real struggle to make this contact, taking a good 5 or 6 “overs” to confirm location, signal report (3/1) and call sign.

Shortly afterwards Andy (MM0USU) beamed onto me from Falkirk, surprisingly strongly (5/3).

About this time the weather turned nasty and it began raining and blowing.

After this I called and called for 40 minutes or so until the battery died on the handy. It was raining too much to get the 817 out and try SSB, so I reluctantly dismantled everything and headed down.

So I activated the hill, but just failed to get the four calls in to qualify for the points. Ah well!

Anyway, it didn’t detract from the great day and the wonderful feeling of pride in Sue for compleating (sic) her Munro’s round after 25 years.

In reply to MW6AQU:
Nice report Gerald and congrats for your wife completing the Munros!

FYI, MM3WJZ is Ian and i worked him today while he was on NS-005.

Adrian
MM0TAI

In reply to MM0TAI:
Thanks Adrian, the wind and rain got the better of my logging! Wish I’d been up a hill today instead of driving for about 7 hours (including stops!).

Gerald
MW6AQU

In reply to MW6AQU:

Thanks for perservering with the summit to summit Gerald, I’d hung around a bit in the hope I’d hear you, besides which the weather was gradually improving out east. A shame you didn’t get that elusive 4th contact.

Congratulations to Sue. I was reading recently that Beinn na Lap is apparently the 3rd most popular munro to compleat on after Ben More and Ben Lomond, I opted for tea and cakes rather than the hill when I was passing earlier in the week, still an excuse to go back.

Iain, MM3WJZ

In reply to MM3WJZ:
Hi Iain,

I was determined to “make it stick” with the contact with you! Glad the weather was getting better for you, it certainly didn’t for me! The “gang” all went down and left me to my calling into the wind and rain on my own :frowning:

Ho hum…

I finished my own Munro round 10 years ago on Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), on the 28th September 2011. Which meant I finished 100 years to the day after the Rev Robertson who was the 1st compleater (sic), on the same peak. Got in the SMC journal for that one.

Gerald, MW6AQU

In reply to MW6AQU:

I finished my own Munro round 10 years ago on Meall Dearg (Aonach
Eagach), on the 28th September 2011. Which meant I finished 100 years
to the day after the Rev Robertson who was the 1st compleater (sic),
on the same peak. Got in the SMC journal for that one.

Brilliant!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Dear Brian,
I think you are a bit ahead of time with 28 the of September 2011, but beside of this, what is meant by the Munro-Round ? I hope to make a QSO with you during my July vacation to Scotland and possibly Wales, I try do do my best.

73 Edwin hb9zap

In reply to HB9ZAP:

A Munro round is the term used to describe climbing all of the mountains in Sir Hugh Munro’s list of mountains over 3000ft. (914.4m)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to HB9ZAP:

what is meant by the Munro-Round ?

Nice one Andy, you beat me to it :slight_smile:

Adrian
MM0TAI

In reply to HB9ZAP:

In reply to G8ADD:
I think you are a bit ahead of time with 28 the of September 2011

Oops!
Sorry, too many hours driving yesterday!
That should have been 2001

Hi hi

Gerald
MW6AQU