GM/WS-003 & GM/WS-001 (Ben Nevis) 2m FM

Hi all

Just dropping by to say I plan to activate GM/WS-001 Ben Nevis and GM/WS-003 Carn Mor Dearg on Bank Holiday Monday. First activations this year.

I’m unsure what the 2m FM scene is like in this neck of the woods so thought I would drop a message on here to rustle up some chasers… will have my trusty 50w FTM100D with me.

Richard

5 Likes

It certainly isn’t the hotbed of VHF activity that is IO82, but them being so high with decent take-offs, I imagine you’d be fine to get 4 contacts, even just with a handheld.

Nonetheless, always a sensible idea to make sure that GM7PKT and crew are monitoring for you!

2 Likes

I activated Ben Nevis with 145-fm / 5 watts on 9th May 2016 and only had 3 contacts and was completely gutted so I activated the summit again 3 days later and again only had 3 contacts on 2m, however, I qualified the summit with another 36 contacts on hf.

GL/73
Nick G(M)4OOE

Hi Nick, that must have been frustrating! I noticed your 3 QSO activation when trying to decide what to run. I’m using 50w so fingers crossed it’ll be OK! :crossed_fingers:

It was strange because I wrongly thought that I wouldn’t have any problems with my handheld and I thought that I had hf as a back up but I had the wrong connector so couldn’t use it! I made sure on the second visit that I had everything. It turned out well in the end as I had two great days weather wise but I did come down in a Coastguard helicopter but that is another story! Hopefully the extra power will do the job for you.

Cheers
Nick

1 Like

Helicopter ride ey? Sounds interesting…!

Had a good trip, 2 metres turned out to not be an issue. Almost managed four on 70cms. Special thanks to @GM7PKT for helping spread the word amongst the locals.

The CMD arete was fun, if not easier than expected. No doubt a different beast in snow. Not counting time on the radio I completed the horseshoe in about 6h30m which I was pleased with. A view of my operating position from Carn Mor Dearg:

4 Likes

Jolly good! I always worry (as GM AM) when people from “darn sarf” come up here and find that 2m / 70cms is somewhat lacking in customers than they are used to. Looks like you had a good trip.

2 Likes

And another Deuter rucksack user!

I did almost reply to your rucksack post but it felt redundant. I have a Deuter Guide 45+ and generally rate it highly. It certainly takes a beating. Much more durable than my Osprey bags (although to be fair it is also much heavier).