GM trip and hares

A full report on our (M3ZCB/M1MAJ) GM trip should appear with pictures in next month’s summitsbase news. I’ve also added some notes on the routes used to the resources section of the relevant summits.

One query for the GM natives. On Ben Chonzie and Beinn na Gainimh we saw several hares, but couldn’t get close enough to identify whether they were mountain hares or brown hares. Some of them looked smaller than the others, but we weren’t sure whether they were a mixture of brown and mountain, or more likely adults and leverets. Any ideas on what sort of hare is likely in the Glen Almond / Glen Lednoch area?

Caroline
M3ZCB.

In reply to M3ZCB:

According to munromagic.com and many other sites, Ben Chonzie is famous for its mountain hares.
Nice to have spoken to yourself on three occasions,hope’oor’midges weren’t too bad.

Bob
GM7GAX

In reply to GM7GAX:

In reply to M3ZCB:

According to munromagic.com and many other sites, Ben Chonzie is
famous for its mountain hares.
Thanks. Nice to see them.

Nice to have spoken to yourself on three occasions,hope’oor’midges
weren’t too bad.
Thankfully, it was mostly too windy for the midges! We had a great
time, so may well be back in the same area next year.

Caroline
M3ZCB

In reply to M3ZCB:

I didn’t see any wildlife at all when I did Ben Chonzie, just a white wasteland of winter wonder! My water bottle froze up in my rucksack on the way up it was so cold! It’s a much maligned mountain as it’s just a big lump and a gentle plod to the top but I really enjoyed my trip up. The view that day was exceptional.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/2100660871/

Andy
W6/MM0FMF

In reply to M3ZCB:
Up here, any Hare above 500m will be a Blue or Mountain Hare, below that, provided you are on farmland not heather hillside, it could be either. The Blue is smaller than the Brown Hare as well.

Barry GM4TOE