GM Holiday

From 20th June until Friday 24th June, me and my dad Tom @M1EYP will be on a family holiday in Berwick-upon-Tweed which only 3 miles away from the England/Scotland border and then from Saturday 25th June we will be staying on Anstruther in Fife until we travel home on Saturday 2nd July. As this is a family holiday, we will not be spending everyday activating SOTA summits, but we are planning to do some early morning SOTA activations in the Scottish Borders in Fife and hopefully one whole day activating SOTA summits during our week in Berwick-upon-Tweed and one whole day activation SOTA summits during our week in Fife. I will be planning to activate the SOTA summits on 2m FM with 20/40m SSB and FT4/FT8 back-up and my dad will be planning to activate the SOTA summits on 20/40m CW and FT4/FT8. I am currently in contact with Ken @GM0AXY and Andy @GM6ZAK regarding these SOTA activations, but for anyone reading this thread, please listen out for us on the bands and call us if you can hear us. Callsigns we will be using will be MQ0HGY/P and MQ1EYP/P except for any SOTA activations we do on Friday 1st July where we will be using MM0HGY/P and MM1EYP/P.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

I was told years ago that there is a good fish and chip shop in Anstruther. Never got there.

I won’t be home to work either you or dad in GM this time but there is a chance of S2S when Victor and are operating from OK, DL and DM from 22nd June - 23nd July Jimmy. No FT4/8 as far as I am aware, although Victor has been known to use MGM from summits in his home land. There are some good and easy one point summits in Fife and Perthshire, so I hope it all goes well for you. We were there for five days solid activating in March.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Thanks Phil, I am aware that one of the best chippy’s is in Anstruther which is very good to know as one of the things I enjoy doing in Scotland is eating battered haggis and chips from the chippy’s there. I know that Anstructher has some great fish and seafood restaurants also.
Hopefully one of us will work you or Victor GI4ONL summit to summit if we happen to be activating on those.

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

If you can say it properly you can have a bonus!

1 Like

Which way do you say it, Andy, Ain- or En-?

1 Like

Ain-ster if you’re a Fiifer.

Try my local ones:
Strachan
Finzean

:relaxed:

1 Like

Those are easy, but I’ve always had trouble getting Howick right!

1 Like

Brian, They’re not

2 Likes

Maybe there are subtlties, as a sassanach of Welsh extraction I use Strawn and Finnan, am I miles out?

2 Likes

Spot on!

1 Like

Great! Incidentally, the problem I have with Howick isn’t the silent W, its the half swallowed O that I don’t seem to be able to reproduce.

3 Likes

I always liked Milngavie :wink:

4 Likes

Me and my dad Tom M1EYP activated Lamberton Hill GM/SS-286, Dirrington Great Law GM/SS-225 and Spartleton GM/SS-182 earlier today, reports for these activations to follow. Afterwards we met up with Paul W6PNG/M0SNA for a couple of pints in Berwick Upon Tweed which is the town we are currently on holiday in.

Jimmy M0HGY

4 Likes

Being a Fifer, one which springs to mind is Kilconquhar. Even most Fifers cannot pronounce it

2 Likes

give us a clue; how do you pronounce “Kilconquhar” ?

1 Like

According to google translate, it’s:
ćŸș爟ćș·èȘ‡çˆŸ

4 Likes

Kinukker

1 Like

Close. but no hard K. Nearest I can write would be Kinyucher. Its the nyuch but that makes it harder for many.
Jim

3 Likes

that;s it then
Thanks

1 Like

Makes sense to me as a nearby pub is the Kinneuchar Inn but friends with close ties to the spot insist it’s Kinukker. As I’m not a Fifer I’m actively ambivalent about it and happy to concede to all those much better informed than me
:rofl:

2 Likes