Gisborough Moor G/TW-003 & higher Non-SOTA sum

Me and the XYL are off to the Yorkshire coast for a weeks holiday week after next – planning to include a SOTA activation on one of the days.

I’m a SOTA newbie after my first activation from Snowdon a few weeks ago. G/TW-003 Gisborough Moor is the nearest one to our cottage.

However whilst browsing over my OS Map I’ve found a summit near to Danby High Moor which at 405 Mtr ASL is 77 mts higher than Gisborough moor. It’s OS Grid Ref is NZ 71607 01015. It’s 8.08 miles on a bearing of 329 Deg from G/TW-003.

Is there any reason why this isn’t classified as a SOTA summit ? Is there some topographic reason why it doesn’t qualify or is it just that no one has activated it and added it to the Database ? As it has a car park and a pub in reasonable proximity it would be quite handy !!

PS. Sorry for the simply newbie questions.

Regards & 73’s
Steve
G6UYG

In reply to G6UYG:

I know the summit you mean Steve, Ive operated from there & its very boggy. It doesn`t count for SOTA because you can travel from there to Urra Moor TW-001 (454m) without descending the mandatory 150m. Now if we had P100 this and many other fine summits would count. Have a good holiday, if you drink real ale, I can recommend the Tap & Spile in Guisborough.

In reply to G1INK:

I can recommend the Tap & Spile in Guisborough

It was always The Mucky Duck (Black Swan) whenever I had a drink in Guisborough. Probably because of all the NWOBHM songs on the jukebox. But that was 29 years ago!

In reply to G6UYG:

Hills get included into SOTA in the UK because they are classed as a Marilyn and have a prominence of 150m. The list of hills is maintained by another organisation and SOTA uses their list. The requirement is an objective one, P150, rather than a subjective one i.e. “that’s a nice hill, let’s include it.” As such some fine hills are excluded because they are not P150 and some miserable lumps are included that normally would be avoided. It’s the problem with using an objective rather than subjective list.

There are many objective criteria which could be used, P150, P100 etc. and over the years there has been much discussion as to why P150 and not Pxxx. If you search back through reflector postings you’ll find lots of pro and anti discussion about changing this. Sadly some of the comments were rather ad hominem attacks rather than just discussions about the criteria. It’s an emotive subject and a lot of people feel strongly about their choice.

Andy
MM0FMF

Thanks for the explanation - I had a quick scan through the rules yesterday but must have missed the part about the 150m descent

73’s
Steve
G6UYG

20 Mins spent reading Wikipedias definitions of Marilyns, promence and parents has somewhat enlightened me !!!

73’s
Steve
G6UYG

Check your grid reference Steve - the map doesn’t seem to reflect your description.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The boggy place I have operated from is the trigpoint at NZ701012 @ 432m asl, good VHF take-off & tantalising view of the Lion at Blakey Ridge.

Thanks for the comment on the grid ref - don’t know where the one I initially posted came from - the trig point I actually meant is at NZ 70185 01182. Must have moved the mouse when I was jotting the grid ref down. This time I created a waypoint in MemoryMap and cut/paste so hopefully no user error !!!

Yep the Pub nearby is The Lion. In my part of the world (Shropshire) the OS don’t often put a pubs name on the map - so must be a good one !!!

73’s
Steve
GUYG