Gibraltar

Hi This might sound a daft ? .What prevents the rock of Gibraltar being a SOTA summit.Thanks Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:
The apes would steal your kit before you had chance to activate it.

In reply to G6MZX:

At 426 metres the Rock would certainly qualify as a SOTA summit, all it needs is for an AM to come forward and carry out the necessary formalities.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian.I thought it would but thought I was missing something.Thanks Geoff

In reply to G8ADD:

At 426 metres the Rock would certainly qualify as a SOTA summit, all
it needs is for an AM to come forward and carry out the necessary
formalities.

Not quite all it needs. The summit of the Rock is M.O.D. property and their permission needs to be obtained to operate from there. Such permission is very hard to come by.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Thanks for that, Walt, do you know if their boundary extends all the way to the limit of the AZ assuming it is the conventional 25 metres? It isn’t marked on the Wiki map. This kind of information, BTW, is one reason why we prefer to work through a local AM rather than organising the Associations ourselves at a distance.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian From my memory the MOD bit is fenced off.But I dont know how much higher it goes.73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

Thanks, Geoff. Its academic at the moment but if an AM comes forward then we will have to see if its practicable - perhaps a small increase in the AZ might be permissable.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Thanks for that, Walt, do you know if their boundary extends all the
way to the limit of the AZ assuming it is the conventional 25 metres?

Sorry, Brian, I don’t know any further details. However I do know that several DX-pedition groups have asked for permission to operate from the summit and in all but one case it has been denied.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hope this helps. I applied for the Gibaltar Amateur Radio Reciprocal Licence Class B from their Regultory Authority in 2007 and was issued with Licence Number 169/07 valid from 9th May to the 25th May 07 and given the call sign ZB2/2E0EDX. On contacting the Gibraltar Radio Club I was informed that no operating from the Rock was permitted but could operate from Europa Point next to the Rock. On reading the licence issued it stated:

The apparatus shall be designed, constructed, maintained and used in such a manner that the use of the station does not cause or contribute to any undue interference to any radiocommunications. The apparatus shall NOT be used on the Upper Rock, close to the airport or near existing radiocommunication installations.

Hence only allowed on Europa Point close to the lighthouse. I never did use that licence however, I heard of an M3 gaining one and using it, hence, my interest and intention at the time. My daughter lived an hour away in mainland Spain at the time, so an easy journey.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX