GHz Sporadic ES?

I’m a member of Facebook group which is focused on Dartmoor National Park here in South west England.

Someone posted yesterday that while on Dartmoor their mobile phone suddenly advanced one hour. There were a lot of replies from others saying they had experienced the same.

The most likely explanation I can think of is the phones were linking to a French cell tower, France being one hour ahead of the UK at the moment.

I’ve once experienced French radio stations on the car radio but that was on VHF but I haven’t heard of it happening on SHF. Can this happen? If it can an opportunity for long-distance S2S using microwaves may have been missed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. But not Es, just normal tropo.

3 Likes

Thanks, in my defence I did describe the phenomenon as “Tropospheric ducting” on FB. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had tropo on VHF car radio reception in the Canary Islands, as we dropped down from a high up inland road towards a lovely beach the radio was swamped by signals with North African music and voices. It was like that whilst we were down by the sea and as we drove back up the cliff road the African signals faded and local Canary stations reappeared. Morocco is only about 100 miles from were we where.

2 Likes

Correct Andy. Troppo has connected Hawaii to California on 13 cm often. If it was Ionisation it would mean WW3 had broken out with nukes all round or all of Musk’s satellites were re entering the atmosphere over the channel in unison.

Neither good.

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

My own 13cms tropo record is only 950km or so between GM & OZ.

2 Likes

Andy,
That’s very respectable. 300 km further than my feeble efforts.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes