Getting Ben on The Ben - REPORT

FULL REPORT FURTHER DOWN THIS THREAD

On Tuesday 23rd April, @GW4BML Ben and I will be climbing the following four Scottish 4000’ summits:

Aonach Mor
Aonach Beag GM/WS-002
Carn mor Dearg GM/WS-003
Ben Nevis GM/WS-001, which is the highest summit in the British Isles.

For those that know the area, our route will look something like this:

clockwise. Aonach Mor first, not shown on sotl.as

I will be activating on 2m FM using my handheld and slim-G antenna. I would appreciate folks in GM and GI listening. G/LD activators are also in with a chance too. Ben will be using HF with his KX2 and EFHW. There’s 30 points on offer here.

It is a big hike with a reasonable amount of scrambling and exposure. There may even be some simple Grade I winter climbing, depending on how much snow is left. There certainly is plenty on the north face of The Ben at the moment. Our timing will be variable as a result. We will post alerts, however look for the spots.

Fraser MM0EFI
Ben GM4BML

22 Likes

Sadly I’m working but can try and get to a high spot at lunchtime. Have a great trip and take care Fraser.

2 Likes

I will try to listen out for you from my work QTH but unfortunately my boss is visiting on Tuesday & Wednesday. If I am able to reply, it should be easy for my 2m handheld as 2 of the summits are line of site and WS-002 is just tucked in behind WS-003 from my office window.
Looks like the weather will be good for a big trip.
Good luck and hope to catch you on 2m tomorrow.
73, Robin.

2 Likes

That would be brilliant Robin. I’ll be running 2m APRS, so hopefully your digipeater will pick us up.

1 Like

Good one(s) Fraser,

Should be a able to catch you on WS-002 (FM & HF with Ben?) but out cycling for the rest of the day with my cycle group. Enjoy the the ‘ups-and-doons-zees’ :crazy_face:

Jack(;>J

2 Likes

Looks epic - enjoy! the CMD arête is something special!

I would very much like to try for a 2m summit to summit, not successfully had 2m yet in Scotland. I will be in nearby summits, possibly in the grey corries.

Sadly I ‘mislaid’ my SMA to BNC connector so I’m only on a whip. I had a nice pile up of Lewis hams on the coast with the slim Jim, but sadly nothing on the summits with only a whip.

2 Likes

Whip would work. I’ve worked GM/SS from your area with a whip. Look forward to a S2S :slightly_smiling_face:
Alternatively, do you want me to bring an adaptor. Travelling to camp at the ski range this evening.

2 Likes

That would be incredible, I could pick it up this evening and say hello. And get it back to you following the trip, I’m due here all week, so super useful.

I was looking to see if there was some sort of tv installer shop in Inverness or Fort William that I could visit on way south to find a way, but no luck.

3 Likes

@MM0EFI

Good luck and when I did Ben Nevis a couple of years ago I thought about coming via WS-003.

Glad I didn’t as the ridge between the two looks decidedly “narrow” and as it turned misty once I was on Nevis I really wouldn’t have wanted to do the descent to the saddle and then it in those conditions.

Would love to try for a S2S but my VW Golf has a ridiculous gas tank flat/cover failure…VW are too cheap to provide a manual release so I have a perfectly functional vehicle but no easy way to refuel it.

3 Likes

Well the gang’s all here.

@G5OLD is taking on The Grey Corries group tomorrow, so even more 2m and HF chaser opportunities and more S2S chances for Ben and I.

18 Likes

All the best for the trio and to Tim for his chosen summits. I might be around to chase, but nothing is guaranteed when the combination for the day is a trip to the dentist and childcare. :grinning:

73 to all, Gerald

3 Likes

Inspecting conditions while en route…. summits and route looks in fine nick for @MM0EFI and @GW4BML

11 Likes

Good luck to all! 73 John

2 Likes

Very well done Fraser. Very well done Ben. Fantastic achievement. 73 de Paul M0CQE.

5 Likes

An awesome, but long day. I’m just home and Ben has just camped up at Loch Lomond. (2330). Full report to follow.

Ben, in the background, working a Ben Nevis pileup on 40m ssb

22 Likes

I think I might have sat in the shelter or amongst the ruins…,

2 Likes

Thanks for the points chaps. Good effort from all.

3 Likes

Well done ‘lads’ :grinning:

Jack(;>J

3 Likes

Well done both. Listened for you Fraser on 2m but my 5 ele beam wasn’t quite making it with no lift conditions…I’ve managed it years ago. Got Ben on all 3 and the ‘Ben’ activation brought back good memories of the time I activated it many years ago for Sota.

73 Allan GW4VPX

5 Likes

The shelter is a disgrace. Full of litter, toilet roll and smells of pee. The summit was very quiet at 4pm, except for a couple sitting at the ruins. Not a breath of wind, so fine sitting in the open, with Ben by the trig and me at the top of Indicator Wall.

6 Likes