GB22GE

Phil, thanks for the QSO today, you were my fourth contact on my first SOTA activation (FL/VO-166). Conditions for me were very rough today, 40m noise up to S9 and 20m with very deep fading.

Many thanks,
Christian

Thanks everyone for your comments. Like Christian I found HF conditions lacking, especially on 20m. I couldnā€™t generate anything resembling a pile up from 0808z when I started, until 1050z when I finished. In almost three hours switching between 60/40/30/20m CW/SSB I got a dissapointing 79 QSOs, (15 were S2S) mostly the callsigns were recognisable SOTA Chasers and Activators. I spotted myself on the DX Cluster a number of times, but GB22GE England is hardly DX so I donā€™t think that produced so many callers. I was running 50 watts from a Yaesu FT-991A into an inverted vee link dipole on a 5m pole. An 18 amp Ultramax lithium battery lasted the whole session, and I turned the wick up to 75 watts for the final 20 minutes. A lot of CQing so I was surprised I did not need to fall back on my two auxillary 7 amp battery backups.

Chris and Alex - really pleased to hear familiar calls coming back to my unfamiliar one hihi! Thanks for the S2S contacts.

Fritz - sorry to hear you got the Covid - I also caught it when I brought it back with me from Scotland in late March. The coughing stopped after about 4 weeks.

Tony - I find more chasers around in EU in the mornings and the domestic scene suits me more so I went for morning slots with the callsign. I have two more booked over the next two weekends one Saturday, one Sunday. The GB22GE callsign Manager Ray, M0DHP has been very helpful and efficient in allocating the callsign at short notice. Glad you have enjoyed getting involved, more to come, enjoy!

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Yes I must admit Ray is a great choice for Callsign Manager, I know my logs wont be as substantial as others, but yes good fun, its put my faith back in HF and I will now be trying harder on my future activities on the summits to try HF more!

Great fun !!

Tony

2 Likes