Gaulfest 2023 - Friday 29th December - confirmed

Hi Jimmy, I’ll join in again if possible. Some uncertainty for me at the moment…

Adrian
G4AZS

2 Likes

Only 20 min drive from my QTH and would be nice to meet some more SOTA enthusiasts - gives me a chance to activate Pole Bank and Caer Caradoc then!

Jared 2E0JFJ

4 Likes

I would be interested too, hopefully we can organise some nice sunny calm weather! I’m located between Shrewsbury and Stretton, so plenty of local summits to choose from.

3 Likes

+1 for a possibility depending on family commitments …

2 Likes

@2E0JFJ Do I detect a callsign upgrade and therefore are congratulations in order? :grinning:

2 Likes

If anyone else is interested in the origin of the name “gaulfest” (which as a French speaker made me think entirely of Asterix :laughing:), I found this:

Gaulfest

2 Likes

I will be visiting family and friends for Xmas in Chester, Manchester & Doncaster. 27th or 28th, if weather and visiting schedule permits I will try to join you guys at least as S2S QSO. I am flying back on 29th.

73 Marek

4 Likes

Thanks James, yes just passed around end of September hence a gap in my SOTA activities hi hi!

Be good to see you hopefully at CS, also open to doing a joint activation if anyone is keen?

2E0JFJ

3 Likes

I’m up for participating in this event. Good idea Jimmy.

Sean M0GIA

1 Like

Excellent news. Well you’re welcome to add yourself to the EYP/HGY programme outlined above - which comes with a free lift - or you can make your own way/organise with others (I think Ray @M1REK is thinking of participating, but making his own way there and setting his own preferred timetable summit choice).

3 Likes

Hi Jimmy,

I’ll be in Majorca with Nic, so I’ll see if I can align a summit climb with your alerts for a S2S. Probably 20m would be best, as that seemed to be the only band I made UK contacts with last year (I managed an S2S with Pete @MW0PJE ).

73, Simon

1 Like

Would anybody care to explain the choice of the “Gaulfest” name? Not many French SOTA regions mentioned so far…

1 Like

Maybe you should read all the posts in the thread Rob?

2 Likes

TLDR.

1 Like

I suspected as much. Allow me to save you the effort - check out post #8.

2 Likes

But they’re not numbered … how do I find “post #8”?

1 Like

1 Like

So that’s how it’s done! Many thanks, Tom…

OK, so it’s something to do with rocks and bands, and Wales being Gaul but not quite, and Mass Attacks - OK got it. Makes perfect sense, count me in.

3 Likes

It’s one way. Another approach would be to count the posts from the start of the thread until you reached number 8.

3 Likes

I’m not good at counting: 1, 2, many… I get lost after two :rofl:

2 Likes