Garmin GPSMap62 and OS Getamap problem

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has successfully managed to transfer a map from the current version of OS Getamap to a Garmin GPSMAP62. There seems to be no support forum for Getamap and the FAQs leave a lot to be desired. So I thought I would ask here.

I am using an Intel based Mac, OSX 10.9.4, and have installed the silverlight plug in for Safari. The Getamap “sees” the GPSMap 62 but I get the error message “Error calling method on NPObject” as soon as I plug in the USB cable.

Thanks in advance,

72 Steve G0XAR

In reply to G0XAR:

Hi Steve,

I have successfully managed this in the past, on a Windows PC at least. You can’t do it directly - you need to use Garmin “Basecamp”.

Can’t exactly recall the how-to, it’s been a while but I’ve got some more to do in preparation for our next expedition so I’ll post how I get on when I’ve done it…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G0XAR:

Hi again,

With a bit more tinkering I discovered that Getamap requires the GPSMap62 to have a route already inside it’s memory. If this is so the error message goes away and I can transfer routes too and from the GPS to the Mac. This really is bad programming. Any error message should mean something to the user not the programmer.

However what I cannot seem to get is a transfer of the map itself from the Mac to the GPS. Any ideas?

73s Steve G0XAR

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, Did you actually get maps on the GPS or just the route?

73 Steve

In reply to G0XAR:

Hi Steve,

As far as I know the maps themselves will not transfer, only the routes/tracks (I have the OS 1:50k mapping on the GPS so not too much of a problem and always carry a paper map print-out and compass too!).

73 de Paul G4MD

Edit - interesting that you got a direct transfer from Getamap to GPS - I’ve never managed that. Maybe it’s a Mac thing! Will have to play some more…

Hi Paul,

What is not obvious is that you need to download Garmin GPS Communicator to do the direct transfer from Getamap. Also see my previous comment to overcome the error message. .
Sadly it looks like I am going to have to shell out for the OS 1:50K mapping, I would prefer 1:25K but it is only available for National Parks :-(. I only need a few sheets but I have to buy much more than I need :-(. Yet there seems to be a much better deal available for smart phone app users.

Thanks again for your help,

Steve

In reply to G0XAR:

I would prefer 1:25K

Buy a map program and it’s maps. Anquet and maps for all of the UK OS 1:50000, 1:25000, Road Map, Streefinder (street names) with the ability to drive a GPS only costs £307. Versions exist for Windows, Max, iOS and Android. That’s a huge saving over paper maps.

You can get smaller areas if you want to spend less.

Andy
MM0FMF