G/SP-013 Gun on Xmas Day

When the alarm went off at 0545 on Xmas Day morning, I really began to question my sanity. My alert had been on the system for a year and despite the inclement weather, I really wanted to do this activation. However, fifteen minutes after leaving my QTH, it started to rain and by the time I pulled up at the parking spot near Meerbrook, I was beginning to wish I’d stayed in bed.

The rain by now was heavy and the track to the trig point which had been blessed with almost continuous rain since Tom last activated it 3 or 4 days earlier, was more or less was a total mud bath :frowning:

On reaching the trig, I quickly deployed the dome tent next to the Hawthorne tree, then chucked my by now drenched rucksack inside and erected the colinear for VHF.

My CQ on 145.500 was met by quite a number of chasers and the log quickly began to fill up. In very short order there were almost 50 chasers logged.

My summit to summit with Alistair M0BKQ/P on G/LD-001 alone, made my activation worthwhile. Fantastic effort by Alister to activate Scafell Pike on Xmas Day! Thanks also to Karen, for GW/NW-043.

Due to time constraints, I had to QSY to HF. For simplicity and speed, I tied a bit of wire to my fishing pole and chucked it into the Hawthorne tree.

I self spotted on 20m and then waited for the cavalry to arrive. Within a few minutes, I was working quite a pile-up and 40 minutes later, a further 80 chaser were in the log. Both Phil G4OBK and Don G0RQL making the trip on 20m.

40m was less fruitful, with about half a dozen contacts.

Anyhow, 140 contacts logged in just a few hours was a great result for an Xmas morning.

My apologies to Barry N1EU, I didn’t see your spot asking me to QSY back to 20m until after I packed up.

What a great way to spend a few hours on an Xmas morning, I can thoroughly recommend it.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well done, Mickey! I did come up on 40m SSB to give you a call, but you were too quick in QSY-ing to 15m and I missed you again!

Hope you had a good Xmas. All the best for the New Year. We are on tenterhooks here at the moment, wondering if we are going to be flooded again. The river level has been dangerously high since 23rd December and shows no sign of going down.
:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Sorry I missed you, Walt but the WX on Gun was pretty awful. Lets hope things improve for you on the WX front. I’m pretty lucky to Live 550ft ASL, so no such problems for me.

73 and HNY, Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Well done Mike pleased to be one of the lucky half dozen on 40m, Happy new year.
John GW4ZPL.

In reply to GW4ZPL:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Well done Mike pleased to be one of the lucky half dozen on 40m, Happy
new year.
John GW4ZPL.

Pleased you made it John. I suspect 40m would have been better If I had a bit more wire in the air.

A quick look at my SOTA log showed that this was in fact my fiftieth activation with 100 contacts or more logged, six of these with more than 200 contacts, making the morning even sweeter.

73 Mike
2E0YYY