G/SE-013 Train & Cycle activation

Detling Hill G/SE-013 21st March 2018

I caught the train from London Victoria to Bearsted, then cycled up Thurnham Lane, under the M20, through Thurnham and up on to Detling Hill, about 3km.
This got very steep. I got as far as the footpath to the castle ruin and had to get off and push. A Brompton is not geared for this kind of hill.

I arrived 30 minutes before my posted activation time, so quickly set up at a picnic table and tried the Yaesu FT-70D with an MFD dipole on C4FM, 144.6125, no takers. A move to S20 FM brought in G0UKP, Brian, in Southend on Sea and 2E0IQD, Tony in Sittingbourne, also followed from the calling frequency. So two quick contacts in the log. Time now for 40m CW.

I found 40m propagation disappointing, with no inter-G contacts to be found.
RBNHole spotted my CQ Sota call and I quickly bagged two German callsigns.
I say quickly, I am still struggling to copy CW but I got there in the end.

I looked around on 20m but struggled for a response. Then back on 40m and I found HB9CBR/P on a summit, HB/SG-047. So really pleased, a s2s.

Lastly I found F6CUK/P who was signing FFF-2471 after each CQ call. I had to look this up when I got home. A new one for me, Flora and Fauna.

A great day out, pleased with the contacts and a new summit. Shame there was no inter-G propagation. An observation on Fusion, I left the FT-70D on digital calling channel for the 2 hours on the summit, calling CQ Sota, at various times, but nothing heard. Thanks to the chasers for the point and South East trains for the ÂŁ12.60 super saver day return.

10 Likes

Well done Ian.

You haven’t mentioned what your set up is for HF but I think that you should consider adding 60m and 80m to your antenna system for inter-G. Good luck with your next adventure :slight_smile:

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

[Picture edited to put your bike right-way-up!]

Thanks for putting the picture the right way around, I couldn’t work it out when I posted, and bedtime was calling.
I was using a centre fed dipole for 40m/20m on HF. Will have to look into getting the 817 enabled for 60m.

Ian, G1RVK

At least for the next 5 years or so! Short skip inter-G on 40m is going to be very sporadic at this stage of the sunspot cycle. You’ll have plenty of takers on 60m and 80m as Allan intimates.

1 Like

Hi Ian

thanks for the S2S yesterday, i did not realize you were on a hill…
Nice bycicle, many times i was thinking about buying a Brompton…

vy 73 es keep going - CW is great fun!
Bruno HB9CBR

Yeahhh! Radio and Brompton!
I’m a Big fan of this litlle Big cycles. Sometimes I take my qrp rig and by my Brompton go yo any park

In the UK 60m is pretty much guaranteed to get you a successful activation. 80m not so much so.

It’s worth sorting out your equipment to allow you to self spot as well. It certainly makes a big difference on SSB, not so much on CW because of the help from RBN-Hole.

Colin G8TMV