G/se-003/4/9

When I lived in Scotland I would take all day to climb and activate one hill, now in the south of England a walk and activation can be over in an hour. So the plan today was to do 3 hills and make a full day of it. My local hill is Butser SE-004 which I tried to activate on 2FM last year but only managed 2 QSO’s so I planned to make that my final hill of the day with Chantonbury Rings (SE-009) and Black Down (SE-003) making a nice round trip (well a triangular trip to be precise).

Band conditions seemed very poor today but still managed sufficient QSO’s to make the trip worthwhile. 60 was dead with only 3 stations worked but 40 seemed reasonable especially CW in the morning when SSB was struggling to get it head above the parapet. By the afternoon 40 SSB was wide awake and provided plenty of QSO’s. Managed 2 S2S’s - one with DL4TO/p on DM/BW-100 and the other with HB9AFI/P on HB/VD-043.

A few apologies though. Due to finger trouble I self-spotted SR-009 rather than SE-009 my apologies for that - please check your logs if you worked my from SE®-009. I had to cut short my activation from Black Down SE-003 when I heard the rumble of thunder in the distance! It was only when I was half way back to the car I realised that the thunder was in fact the sound of commercial aircraft in and out of Gatwick Doh!!! My final apology goes out to anyone who was trying to work me from Butser Hill SE-004 when, following my QSO with DJ5AV, my battery died and the 817 shut down.

Despite those minor annoyance’s I had a thoroughly good day out. thanks to everyone who called in, your company was very much appreciated.

73 Glyn

2 Likes

Pleased to catch you on two of the three and exchange a few words when you were on Butser Hill. Good to see the SE summits being activated - I enjoyed them all in different ways, back in the days when I only ran 2m and mainly SSB at that. Hopefully find you out on a few more of those southern pimples (by comparison to GM) some time soon.

73, Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK