G/NP-032 Cracoe Fell 2m antenna test

I have activated G/NP-032 Cracoe Fell using the longer route parking in the layby near Hetton and the shorter route parking in Jacksons Farm Shop in Cracoe. If anyone decides to do this summit using the shorter route I recommend the tea room in the Farm Shop for refreshments, sandwiches and cakes/buns either before or after an activation. Having parked there for free I see it as fair.
Personally I prefer the longer route and Natalie M7NTD was with me for this activation.

From the parking spot in the layby care must be taken as there is a short walk along the road to a gate on the left.

Track near start of walk.

A gate on the left signposted BW Barden Moor is soon reached where you turn left.

Follow this track past a small wooded area on your left and as the track levels off turn left by the fence.

Natalie M7NTD looking towards G/NP-029 Sharp Haw.

I have never seen this next section as overgrown as it was today. I’m 5’ 11’ and we checked for ticks after following the path that I knew through here from previous activations.

Chris M0RSF doing a fine Rambo impersonation.

Upon reaching the Rhylstone Cross most of the ascent is done and it’s just a case of crossing the style in the wall, turning left and following the ridge to the Summit.

Rhylstone Cross with the Obelisk at the Summit in the distance.

There are some quite interesting rock formations between the Cross and the Summit and a couple of sections where you must watch your footing but nothing difficult at all.

The Obelisk / War Memorial at the Summit.

Natalie and I ascended the same route though it’s possible to ascend to the right of the cross to the Farm Shop then walk back along the road to the layby near Hetton.

A total of 15 QSO’s on 2m FM including S2S with Simon GW4TJC/P on GW/NW-010 Moel Siabod, Mark M7GHE/P on G/NP-017 Fountains Fell, Derek G1JZQ/P on G/NP-003 Burnhope Seat, David M0JKS/P on G/LD-013 Old Man of Coniston and Tom M1EYP/P on G/SP-015 The Cloud.
So 2 Activator points, 27 Chaser/S2S points and a complete for Natalie.

I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel. Warning, it contains some humour!

G/NP-032 Cracoe Fell SOTA 2m FM antenna test - YouTube

73 Chris M0RSF & Natalie M7NTD.

6 Likes

Hi Chris and Natalie, thanks for your activation video :+1:. Was interested in that antenna you tried; have made contacted the makers to find out cost to send to VK, now awaiting reply.

cheers to you both and stay safe.

Geoff vk3sq

Thanks for watching Geoff. If you search online for ‘2m Slim G antenna’ I believe that there are some manufacturers of this antenna around the world.
Hopefully one of them will send one to VK.

73 Chris M0RSF

1 Like