G/NP-009 Belted Galloways

Yesterday, 20th January 2023 I activated G/NP-009 Buckden Pike on a cold wintery day. Activations on this summit have been covered many times before but this one for me was a bit unusual. I arrived at the summit at around noon and heard Paul G4IPB/P on G/NP-007 Wild Boar Fell. Not only did I give him the wrong reference I called him Richard so apologies for that! After getting six contacts on 2m I tried HF but my KX3 failed to power up. (Checking at home I found that I have a faulty power lead.) The descent was interesting having to climb one gate that was frozen solid in ice with both sides of the gate making it very dodgy to stand. Then heading back towards Buckden car park I saw about 30 Belted Galloway bullocks in the field with a few on the path. They were walking towards me so I climbed a steepish slope to my left and gave them as much room as possible. There were some more of them by the far gate so I promptly headed for the wall and a group of them were heading my way so I threw my rucksack over the wall and swiftly climbed it. I think it worth mentioning that they weren’t charging towards me but dog owners might want to tackle this summit from Cray or from Park Rash.

8 Likes

I’ve seen more Belties here in the Yorkshire Dales than I have ever in Galloway!

I did Buckden Pike the day before you. I parked in Starbotton where there is space for several cars on the road. It’s a nice route up via Buckden Lead Mine. There were no cattle on this route.

2 Likes

Also known as the Scottish Panda :rofl:

3 Likes

They’re vicious blighters.

2 Likes

We saw Panda cows on the flanks of Ingleborough yesterday. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen that herd on Buckden for a few years, and it appeared as though they had some highland cattle too. There even appeared to be some belted highlands :slight_smile:

Colin

Later edit -

The ‘native’ cows are kept for land management I believe, much like the herdwick sheep in the Lake District.
Ennerdale has a herd of black Galloway cattle for land management purposes.

Oh, and I often meet the Ingleborough Beltie herd during my night activations -

2 Likes

Hi Nick

FB report OM. Where the belties where was near the place where two attacked Colin Humphrey (Ryedale Walking Group) unexpectedly when he had his back to them walking away. He suffered a really bad shoulder injury after being thrown to the ground by the beasts. His wife and friend were able to scare them off as they were returning to trample him. You were right to be wary.

73 Phil G4OBK

PS Colin does not have a dog. There were none in the area. His injuries took around 6 month to heal and involved doctors appointments and several physio sessions. You could say he was lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

2 Likes
1 Like