G/DC-land Trip Help needed 8-15 Oct

Hi John
Very glad to hear you will be around in Dorset for 9 - 14 and hope we can talk. Plans are rather changeable at present as the weather on Dartmoor on Sunday 9 Oct looks too windy and the best day would be Saturday but then we will be late (1400 or 1500 UTC) because of the drive. It may end up being Monday if the weather holds. Will alert when we have made some decisions. I would welcome chasing any Dorset summits but I have actually chased the ones you list - but need SC-004/009/013 (Staple Hill, Lewesdon Hill and Nine Barrow Down). I think they are out of your area as planned but there is always another day!
We move down to the St Agnes area on Tuesday 11 Oct and hope to visit the couple of summits there but we may be out of your reach by then. I was hoping that some locals might join the discussion and offer to listen out/wander up a summit and/or some chasers offer to listen but, no replies so far. I will have to charge some more batteries before we set off (and try to get my voice back which is rather croaky at present). I hope you have an enjoyable trip, John, and that we have a chance for a chat before too long
73 Viki M6BWA

1 Like

I live near Plymouth and Kit Hill is within easy reach. But I won’t be back in the UK until 14 October so I can only help after then.

1 Like

Thanks John, I hope you are having a good time. It looks as if Saturday 15th is the only possible S2S day. We are packing up in St Agnes that day and could go up something on the way home so it won’t be very early. Any particular time good (or bad) for you - and are you sure you will have recovered enough to drive up to Kit Hill on the day after coming back from a long trip? We’ll see how the weather is behaving and be in touch. Many thanks.
Viki M6BWA

1 Like

I haven’t done much SOTA on this trip so happy to do something on the 15th. :slight_smile:

My timings are flexible and I can adjust to suit your timings. Just let me me know what’s best for you.

70cm is a challenge, I’ve only managed a QSO with Don @G0RQL from a summit down here but if he sees your alert/spot you will have a good chance.

2 Likes

I have noticed earlier today Rod M0JLA and Vicki M6BWA activated what I believe to be their final unique G (England) SOTA summit earlier today Hensbarrow Downs G/DC-008. Congratulations to both of them all activation all G (England) SOTA summits.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

10 Likes

Congratulations Rod and Viki…job done👍

73 & 88

Allan

2 Likes

Our thanks to Jimmy, M0HGY, for flagging up our completion of G and to Allan, GW4VPX, for his congratulations. In my case for the second time as Hensbarrow was moved and renumbered; in Viki’s for the first time as our previous visit to G/DC-001, High Willhays, was before she was licenced.
As I claim to have chased all G too I think I can claim complete completion of G as well as GD which I did some time back. I have chased all GW and hope I might one day managed to activate the couple still missing from my activation list.
The trouble with completing is that no sooner than it is done than someone resurveys and the list is altered - I had chased all ON and activated all GW/NW, the latter being lost within days of finishing.
We have now moved further south-west and so hope to do Watch Croft, G/DC-007 and Carnmenellis, G/DC-006 again before heading for home - completing does not (yet) mean finishing :smiley:
Rod

8 Likes

This is from Viki using Rod’s PC.
Thanks for the congratulations - it has certainly taken us quite a few years but most of it has been fun! I was lucky that the weather was good as we drove down on Saturday and went straight up to G/DC-001 where the view were good and I had 2m fm -8 and 70cm -4 in the log after an hour’s hard work!!

Yesterday G4TQE kindly went up Lewesdon Hill G/SC-009 to give me complete so Kit Hill (G/DC-003) seemed a suitable choice (ie a drive-on and good line of sight … or so I thought!) My heartiest thanks to John for enduring about 20 mins of my saying I couldn’t hear him properly owing to interference and would he please repeat my signal report yet again… and again. We succeeded in the end and I’m still puzzled why it was so difficult (we tried 70cm for a laugh but that was a complete no-go). I did try inserting a filter if it was interference from the mast causing the problem but he couldn’t hear me at all then so that wasn’t much help. after about an hour I had woken up quite a few of the locals so 2m-8 and 70cm -7 which was good.

Today was the final summit G/DC-008 Hensbarrow Down and once again we walked past the trig pt on a small lump and started up the higher hill behind in the midst of the china clay moonscape just outside St Austell. The route was a bit of a fight through the undergrowth which had appeared in the intervening 11 years and it looked as if the route wasn’t often us from the very busy road amongst the mines, Once again getting started was rather slow but the first reply from G5XDX Callum in St Ives was greeted with great enthusiasm - especially as he offered 70cm as well (this seems to be a novelty in this region eventhough the repeaters get used). After 80 minutes I was going to give up the quest for the 4th 70cm (with 8 2m in the bag) but G7FLI john, Truro rescued me and I have kept my 70cm record for this trip intact but not for long as we are attempting Watch Croft DC-007 near Lands End tomorrow…! I was please to get a contact on 2m with EI5CD Des in Cork - but I suppose he wasn’t that far away,
My thanks go to all my fellow activators who have helped me activate/qualify the summits on the way and also the chasers most of whom have never had any interest in SOTA but are willing to reply to a lone XYL who keeps diturbing their slumbers in the shacks.
73 Viki

7 Likes

Many congratulations! :slight_smile:

Are you still planning to do anything on Saturday?

(M6BWA) Yes please John but potential timings very very difficult having discovered the chaos on the single bit of the A30 west of Bodmin and the associated earthworks all over the place which will last until 2025 I believe. Looks as if any activation will be afternoon possibly 1600+ BST but this is fiction really. If you wish to plan something else then go ahead and many thanks for the thought. Sorry we haven’t replied before
Weather and forecast today rather iffy but will be trying Watch Croft - traffic permitting but we are now at St Agnes so W of the obvious bottle neck. Everyone please wind up the 70cm mast in anticipation!
73 Viki

1 Like

Viki, if I can I will try and do something. If you can update any alert during the day I will try and get away to be on Kit Hill when required.

I did Watch Croft earlier this year and wrote a short report about it with suggestions for parking and the path but in a car you should be able to park closer than I managed.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Well done both!

1 Like

(from M6BWA) Hi John. Forecast still iffy but, if anything, it will be Hensbarrow Down (G/DC-008) at c 1130 UTC would Kit Hill be possible at that time.? Looks as if wind is a problem as well as rain. Would want to confirm nearer the time - can you send mobile no by PM if possible. Will quite understand if you are not available. Tx
73 Viki

1 Like

Viki,

Happy to do 1130 UTC (1230 local) at Kit Hill, will take a packed lunch. As you say weather is not brilliant, probably showers with a fresh breeze according to the BBC forecast. Could be worse. :slight_smile:

It will be easier if I just do FM but I can set up the HF kit if required, hiding the radio in my rucksack if its raining.

I’ll try an AH 770 antenna for 2m and 70cm but I’ll also bring my little 70cm Yagi and can try that if needed but from Hensbarrow I think it won’t be.

Will send mobile number by PM. Best of luck.

John

2 Likes

Many thanks to both of you for the double S2S yesterday. Hope you got back home safely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many thanks John for persevering so long and ensuring that we got a 2m s2s (so I got my COMPLETE!) and joining in my attempts to do the same on 70cm. This was not to be - owing, I think, to the interference on this band at both ends. I was told that I had repeaters all round me on Hensbarrow Down (G/DC-008) but I am still puzzled by what caused the problems on Kit Hill (G/DC-003) which I had also suffered when operating there a few days earlier. However interference on 70cm fm is increasing on many of the summits I visit and I have been told of the many gadgets that are involved - including a bus, apparently, which caused very bad problems for an amateur as it approached, passed and then receded into the distance!
Many tx. 73 Viki

1 Like

I blame the Cornish pixies. My theory is they are 70cm high and this causes interference.

But many thanks for a good day out. I even avoided getting wet with a quick sprint. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations Rod and Viki - very pleased to read this!

Thanks for some enjoyable S2S contacts along the way.

73, John M0VCM

1 Like

Well done Viki and Rod. I am a long way off activating all G land.
Glad we made a QSO, Viki, between Kit Hill and Lewesdon Hill. Lewesdon Hill was hard going. Only made 5 contacts, 4 on 2m and a repeat on 70cm, which gave me 4 distinct contacts. It took me nearly an hour. Next scheduled trip, with a bit of radio, is to Cornwall in March. I have my eye on three in G/DC land and two in G/SC land.
73, John G4TQE

2 Likes

Thanks for the congratulations -it’s been a long haul but has taken us to some lovely places. I was very glad to see that my 2m s2s from Kit Hill enabled you to qualify Lewesdon Hill and that you also managed one 70cm contact. Some of these southern hills are quite a challenge on 2m/70cm - anyone would think that no-one was living nearby!! I was convinced that I was being heard (but not replied to) when down in Devon/Cornwall and, when desperate, resorted to “Is my little signal getting out please?” which normally got a reply - and once got 3 replies which was wonderful!! Anyone got any tips for converting ‘listeners’ to ‘answerers’? Do remember that on 2m fm with 5w I am not expecting to encounter SOTA chasers (what’s SOTA - and why should I care??) I just want to persuade those who are listening to pick up the mike and give me a callsign and signal report - if only to stop me keep disturbing the silence! Best of luck with your next southern tour and I wish I were available to help you and to get some more completes!
73 Viki

2 Likes