G/DC-007 Watch Croft; Activation Report

If you ever wonder why my callsign is 2E0SCZ then the SCZ bit stands for Senara’s Church Zennor which is where I was married just over 20 years ago. I make frequent return visits to Zennor and this Easter saw my third attempt at activating Watch Croft.

This really is a lovely summit with brillant views and one can see the Scilly Isles when it’s clear but too hazy on this occasion. The previous Christmas, I had reasonable success with 2m FM on the nearby Bartinney Hill (though sadly not a SOTA summit). So, I kicked off with 2m FM + vertical SOTAbeams dipole and my initial CQ was immediately answered all the way from Liskeard. XYL is now licensed and had taken the younger children to nearby Chun Castle and was the second QSO.

Nothing else heard on FM and I had forgotten to bring my external Pb acid battery (rumour has it that I lugged it up Aran Fawddwy and then didn’t use it!) so thought SSB to be the better option.

Yagi errected and lots of patience calling CQ eventually realised two other contacts after an hour on the hill. But the weather was fantastic and it wasn’t really a problem sitting in the brilliant sunshine and admiring the views and breathing the salt air. Pictures at:

Imgur

Al (astair Hopkins 2E0SCZ)

PS. I think that Devon & Cornwall is hard-done by SOTA and that many more summits should be included in the program. There are many lovely hills but only 7 feature under SOTA. I have passed on my views to the G/DC co-ordinator and will respect whatever the outcome is. What do others think?

The hills valid for SOTA in Devon & Cornwall are those listed as P150 (150m or more prominence = vertical separation) by RHB - Relative Hills of Britain, an independent group with recognised expertise in highly accurate surveying - so much so that the OS accepts and uses their findings.

Tom M1EYP