Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

G - Association Update

Here’s how I interpret this.

8th March - I’d say SOTA is allowed in England providing that you can walk to the SOTA summit from your house.

29th March - I understand from this that non-essential travel would be allowed, but kept to a minimum, so sounds to to me that you’d be going to travel to SOTA summits local to you or SOTA summits in your own council area.

12th April - This one is very confusing as holidays are allowed, but travelling should still be kept to a minimum so unsure how this would effect SOTA in England.

17th May - It seems that by this point all travelling restrictions will be lifted in England so travelling any sort of distance to get to a SOTA summit would be allowed. Obviously though we must follow the Government Rules/Guidelines in regards to social distancing, meeting up with people outside your household etc.

21st June - Probably not much change other than social distancing maybe completely lifted and your can meet up with however many people you want while on the SOTA summit.

Please note that these are just my interpretations, not what will actually happen with regards to SOTA in England. There is still in on-going discussions with SOTA MT and once we have read the Government rules and guidelines in full, we will be able to mention how this will affect SOTA in England.

Also I will not be making any amendment to the current Winter Bonus dates in England.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

2 Likes

Two thoughts on this. Firstly, November is not a winter month, it is an autumn month, if you look at your calendar for the first day of winter you will see what I mean. Secondly, some experts are predicting that we will be back in lockdown for the next bonus season, though I sincerely hope that they are completely wrong!

My personal opinion is that we finish the bonus season too early in the year, I have in the past enjoyed battling up icy gullies in Scotland as late as the end of April, but have never experienced good winter climbing conditions before December, so I really cannot sympathise with starting the bonus season early just to grab a few more points, the bonus is there because out on the hills at that time it would probably be actually earned.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts, Tom & Jimmy.

2 Likes

[quote=“G8ADD, post:22, topic:25059, full:true”]

My experience of winter conditions/climbing too. !!

David

1 Like

Updated ARM has now been uploaded onto the SOTA Website. The Database hasn’t been updated yet which I believe is due to some software issues, but should be sorted shortly.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

1 Like