Fun in the Sun on 2m SSB

I have been getting bored with 30cw so seeing that Gerry G4IOG was going to be QRV on 2m SSB from GM I decided to head up Shining Tor. On the way up a walker said someone at the top “already had their two points”. It just shows how popular SOTA is that walkers frequently know the details and the the summit was already “in use”. I was slightly worried that it would be someone else on 2m but it turned out to be Michael G0HIO and wife, on 30m cw.

I set up further along the wall. As soon as I turned the radio on, Gerry GM4OIG/p was there. We quickly made a contact at a good 5-8 both ways. I then slid down the band for some SSB fun. 30 contacts in 50 minutes. Notables being:

G0RQL - Devon
M0BKV - Cornwall
G2BOF - S London
G0PEB/P - Isle of Wight
G8XYJ/P - Brown Clee
GW4ZPL - Nr Bangor
G4OBK - N Yorkshire

No real DX but fun none-the-less.

Good day to be out.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hello Richard

I too had a good time on 2m SSB - A much underused mode on the excellent 2m band, I think I had a total of 10 S2S, from 7 summits in total!

Best of all the main part of the activation was achieved.

• Working Gerald - GM4OIG on GM/SS-118
  • Testing the newly made lightweight 4 ele DK7ZB - 30 euros (P & P Included)

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G3CWI:

Nice to work you earlier on 2M SSB Richard, I had put my SB5 up at home specifically in order to work Gerald & I managed the first summit OK on SSB. It was nice to work several other activators on 2m SSB which I have neglected a little over the winter.

I did listen for Michael G0HIO on 30m CW, but he was not detectable here in Blackburn. I think the successful contact I had with Colin M0CGH/P using his QRPp rig was simply due to the summit he was on (G/NP-010 Pen-y-ghent)having a much better path to my location.

Looking at another current thread on the reflector regarding stations using 1kW - 2kW for local QSO’s, QRPp really puts things in perspective.

And it was indeed a very nice sunny day today :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G3CWI:
Nice to see you richard, great wx conditions today. I went out the AZ to give you a call on the way down but couldnt find you. Doh on ssb not fm! Maybe next time. 73 (The swl30+ worked ok)

Michael
G0HIO

In reply to G3CWI:

My activation time missed both of his times which is a shame as he was LOS from both summits to White Coomb. I had the handy on at the right time but I was still 4km from the summit along the ridge. I could hear a huge signal which would be Gerald and I think he was calling CQ from the TX pattern. I studiously avoided the band plan and called him on FM but he didn’t appear for me!

Never mind. I missed a few other 2m FM S2S but my mind was elsewhere after a truly eventful drive to the summit. This included sliding off the road into a ditch on ice with a 200ft+ drop on the other side, getting stuck on sheet ice on a 1:5 slope and having to reverse down 3/4km of said 1:5 slope, walk up extra climb and then see a car come down the hill, skid on the ice, hit along the wall then leave the road travelling through the air like a shot from The Dukes of Hazard followed by me running up to check the driver was ok. He was, car not. My car OK, only my pride and underwear took a beating :wink:

I shall calm my still jittery nerves with a significant quantity of malt tonight.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

I had my first foray on 2m ssb for quite a while yesterday as well. I activated a HuMP on Stannage Edge near Sheffield and enjoyed a fair few H2S contacts on 2m ssb & fm on a beautiful sunny day. A move to HF brought a few more contacts including Columbia, Brasil & Canary Islands on 10m.

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to G3CWI:

I had my first foray on 2m ssb for quite a while yesterday as well. I
activated a HuMP on Stannage Edge near Sheffield and enjoyed a fair
few H2S contacts on 2m ssb & fm on a beautiful sunny day. A move
to HF brought a few more contacts including Columbia, Brasil &
Canary Islands on 10m.

You did well on the 10m band, Steve. I tried the 15m Band briefly and it was utter garbage. One contact into Ukraine.

Thanks for the S2S.

BTW, Worked MW6BAF/P, although he had moved from 145.425 (he was probably “told” to move by the RSGB News.) However, he did find me a bit later.

73 Mike
2E0YYY