Fun Conundrum

In reply to M1EYP:

By activators who did the Cloud/Gun double the same day?

Mike GW0DSP

Sorry Stewart and Mike, both wrong. You were considerably closer before Mike.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

By people who have also chased the summit?

Mike GW0DSP

Well I have also chased the summit, and I’ve done activated it 200+ times. Try a kind of combination of your first two suggestions Mike.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m trying by means of deduction.

How about members of the G QRP Club?

Mike

No

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m running out of ideas now

I activated The Cloud (for the 218th time) this morning. However, the conundrum remains unchanged at:

“The Cloud has been activated 101 times by… ???”

…which may or may not help.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
What about G3CWI.ATB Geoff

In reply to M1EYP:

“The Cloud has been activated 101 times by… ???”

mistake ?

:wink:

73 de Les, G3VQO

Sorry Geoff, not Richard, nowhere near in fact! You can actually see who has activated, and how often can be seen on the main database:

http://database.sota.org.uk

Navigate via ‘Summits’ and click on ‘History’ on The Cloud line.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP: 18th April 2007

Great answer Dave. But not the one I am looking for.

The “101” figure is to-date, and remains at 101 despite my own activation of SP-015 this morning. It will no doubt change in the future. I may mention it when it does - if it isn’t solved by then!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
was it you when you held Jimmys call sign. Atb Geoff

Again Geoff, if you check the database you will see that “M3EYP/P” doesn’t appear anything like 101 times. Also, I never held that callsign. I have only ever been M1EYP. My entry into the hobby was straight via the full RAE in 2001 (you weren’t compelled to first undertake lower level courses then, although you could do the Novice (2E1) if you wished), and I did morse after it was removed as an entry requirement for HF. So I have only ever had the one callsign.

Jimmy isn’t the first to hold M3EYP however. He wanted it, and realised that someone else had it - but that person had moved up to a 2E0. Tim was very supportive and wrote a great letter to Denise Carter at Ofcom, who was also brilliant. And Jimmy got his callsign of choice.

Anyway, we are getting further and further away from the solution. The closest yet was GW0DSP’s first guess, while his second guess had a subtle clue in it. But even Mike’s subsequent ideas have moved in the wrong direction hi.

Keep trying folks.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I think it has been activated 101 times by non “M” callsign holders - ie all other calls ?

73 Graham G3OHC

In reply to G6MZX:

By people who are not Macc residents?

Mike is correct and wins a free pint of Bosley Cloud when he next activates The Cloud. (Nearby pub The Rushton Inn serves this fine hand-pulled real ale from the Storm Brewing Company of Macclesfield).

Tom M1EYP

Graham, I make it 86 occurences of what you suggested.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Well done Mike…

and by 78 different callsigns

David