FT8 S2S event - Friday 29th November 2019 - 0800-1100 UTC

Interesting topic - thanks for all the good info in this thread!

I’d like to try FT8 on a summit. I found some info about using the KX2 for FT8, and it looks like people plug the KX2 directly into the sound card with regular audio cables. It’s been a long time since I played with a digital mode, but isn’t some kind of isolation required? I remember building an interface that used some audio transformers way back when PSK31 was the new and exciting mode =) Without that isolation, RF would get in to the computer and cause lots of weird problems.

Perhaps this isn’t an issue at QRP power levels? Short audio cables with chokes might be good enough??

Thanks,

-Josh

Dear F5LKW, thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Hi All,

I’ve been playing with FT8 with the intention of trying out an activation. Initially I went for using an RPi 3B - worked fine, decoded fast enough in “normal” decode mode and copied almost everything the home setup with fast PC did. However the 7" touchscreen was just too small for comfortable operation so attention has switched to using a 14" laptop with external USB soundcard.

Not easy to weatherproof, according to the local forecast Friday 29th Nov. is going to be a good day so am planning an outing up my local SOTA, Walton Hill G/CE-002 for then, starting about 0800. I’ll be using the M1EYP/F5LKW protocol. Despite the warnings in the operating guide, not had any issues with putting the forward slash in the summit reference in the free text message so hopefully will work “in anger”!

I’ll be starting on 10.136. I should be able to self-spot giving offset frequency and timeslot.

I’ll try other bands depending on conditions, would like to work “local” as well as DX. Also 2m. Any requests/suggestions gratefully received!

Hopefully catch some of you on Friday!

73 de Paul G4MD (G6GGP this time)

Isn’t it just…lots of sun and blue sky. Now I have a stack of unused vacation to burn so I think I’ll try and get out at the same time. Off to make an set of FT817 to USB soundcard cables and get the tablet updated to latest WSJT.

1 Like

Woo hoo welcome to the party :sunglasses:

2mtrs would be good Paul any thing else will probably give me a miss. 73 Don.

1 Like

Yes - let’s do this. I’ve actually got some free time that morning, so I’ll aim to join you, also on 30m and 2m.

Will go post alert now…

Fingers crossed for my first VHF S2S on FT8.

1 Like

You’ve got it Don look forward to seeing you Friday morning :slight_smile:

I’ve been resurecting the lightweight tablet for this and installing the latest WSJT stuff. Having a touch issue at present which is a bummer but I hope to be sorted in time. Big issue for me is I’m looking at a 2hr drive to get up to near Ballater so I wont be on for 800Z. After all that driving and with a similar WX forecast for Saturday, I’m planning to stay overnight so I can activate a couple on Saturday before coming back home. Damn WB doesn’t start till Sunday though :frowning:

No prob Andy I’ll apply for an extended pass-out :wink:

Still only the two alerts on so far for this, though Andy @MM0FMF will make it three at some point. I wonder if Roger @F5LKW can be tempted to make the sked? Also 0800 might be a good time to work JA / HL / BV on 30m, and they have activators who use FT8.

Furthermore, there’s been lots more talk recently of activators saying they’re intending giving FT8 a try from the summits. Well how about Friday morning at 0800?

[Note: I’ve edited the thread title in order to hopefully attract a few more interested potential participants].

2 Likes

I was going North to Ballater/Banchory but the latest forecast is adding some pre-Christmas spice by saying early morning snow. My new motor has AWD but I haven’t driven it in snow yet. I’d like to find out what an automatic in snow is like first on roads I know not unclassified roads in Aberdeenshire that may or may not be treated.

So I’ll be going South to Dumfrieshire to target some remaining SS summits instead. Still wont be on air for 0800Z.

That opens up the possibility of some completes for me. Eagerly anticipating your alerts :slight_smile:

Probably Craiglee GM/SS-150 on Friday after drive down and Lamachan for Saturday. But I’m not that hill fit so I might chicken out of Lamachan if legs feel shot on Saturday morning and do something I’ve already done again.

1 Like

Hello
I will be able to be QRV on the morning.
HF bands is better Between us.
Afternoon i will have to QSY to working place
May be i go to F/CR-254.

1 Like

Great news Roger!

Hi Andy

See you’re going for Fell of Fleet GM/SS-181 on Friday - that’s sound :slight_smile:

Have to watch the power for the laptop - been testing it and the battery lasts around 1.5hr so I’ll probably do around an hour’s FT8 first then swap to ssb until you’re about. Fortunately the alerts for the morning are filling up so there’ll be a bunch of s2s to look for :smiley:

Not done Craiglee GM/SS-150 yet but more than happy to be looking for you on Saturday to get the complete-in-waiting! Probably not able to get out but should stand a chance of copying FT8 through my local mush at home.

Looking forward to catching you all tomorrow

73 de Paul G6GGP

FT8 not looking good. The tiny tablet is having touch issues (doesn’t see the touch) and random lockups. This is typical because it sat in the shack when testing WSJT modes in the past and worked OK. It was unused for about 10months and the battery was flat. But I don’t see why the hardware has become flakey. Grrr!

How ever, keep some battery for SSB work. As it’s you and you have a chance at a rare-as-******* (:smile:) complete on offer, I will throw in the 80m dipole elements. But Gordon Bennett, a full size 80m dipole is ENORMOUS!

PM me with your mobile number and I’ll text you on progress etc. so you know when I may be on the air.

Sorry you’re having issues with FT8. My kit hasn’t been used up a hill yet I’m hoping it’ll transfer from the warmth of the shack to frosty hilltop without too many hiccoughs… No problems at home, but will be taking a few extra clip-on ferrites in case the different antennas cause any rf problems.

Plenty of battery for other modes, I’ll have at least 3 2200mAh LiPos and a 1000mAh spare that lot should endure longer than I will :wink:

Yes a full size 80m dipole is quite big - my “go-to” SOTA doublet at 17m per leg is big enough! I get a bit self-conscious about deploying it on the “triangle” by the fence on Walton - tends to be a tad busier than most SS summits! - so will probably deploy it in the “rough” alongside the path…

Thanks Andy, updates will be much appreciated have sent mobile no. by PM.

73 de Paul G4MD/G6GGP

Here is my take, for what it is worth. As hams, especially as folks with the bend for QRP and SOTA sort of things, we should be pushing technology. Afterall, we do all we can to use modern tech to make lighter and better rigs, we have no qualms about using FET’s, micro processors and fancy, modern LiPo batteries in our rigs and we use modern, powerful software to simulate better, lighter antennas. A huge part of our existence is pushing technology in ways to communicate better via radio waves. Using FT8,or whatever, seems only logical. It is doing exactly what we should be doing.
But still, there is something magical about copying CW, it is indeed the jedi knight mode and I hope it will always be around, but keep pushing other modes, like FT8 or what ever neat thing you come up with.