FT8 S2S event - Friday 29th November 2019 - 0800-1100 UTC

10.136MHz 1346Hz I’m TX even

Your spot says 10.132

It did - when I qsy’d!

Now back on 10.136. 1132Hz odd.

Only JA and ZL so far… on 30m

Saturday 4th May 2019 - The Cloud G/SP-015

I somehow woke up at 4.30am BST, so decided to go for an early walk.

I went for my current favourite of 30m vertical with FT8 mode. Plenty of VK received, but none in my logbook on this occasion.

30m FT8: 20 QSOs
30m CW: 7 QSOs
2m FM: 3 QSOs

S2S with Paul MW0PLA/P on Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012

Later on, I attended the Moss Rose stadium to watch the 1-1 draw between Macclesfield and Cambridge, a result that ensured my home town team remained in the Football League for next season.

Back on the road gigging tomorrow, so should be activating a little further afield - and scoring points!

Hi Tom,

No decodes from you today. I worked a G0 and a couple of other EU stations but nothing from any other G stations. I saw a couple of decodes from stations working you so I knew you had not gone back to bed. Conditions did seem down a bit and there were others close to your nominated frequency. I was too late to catch you on the other frequency which may have been better,

Seems you did OK anyway.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Dear all, I would like to try FT8 too. However my concern is, that the general rules state:

“At least four QSOs must be made for you to claim your activator points. You should
exchange callsigns, reports and the SOTA reference number (see ARM). QSOs through
a repeater do not count. […]”

How can I send the SOTA reference number with FT8?

Any hint is welcome.
73, Alfred

Hi Alfred,
I’m not FT8 user but you’ll find answer to your question right here

Guru

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I did my first FT8 SOTA activation yesterday. Any recommendations for ANDROID FT8 software? Thanks for the help.

73, Milos S57D

I’ve yet to do one, but I plan on doing the following:

CQ SOTA N1RBD XXyy

Then after the last 73, a macro to send some free-text like

SOTA W4GNG001 (remember, 13 character limit for free-text)

The person SHOULD be able to garner the summit from your spot, assuming you or someone else spotted you. If not, this last free-text should give them the info need. If they’re not a SOTA person and just responding to your CQ, they may not recognize it and ignore but you have given them the SOTA reference number and can use them as a valid QSO. Someone who is an active chaser will recognize that as a valid summit.

I plan on attempting (4th try) a POTA activation this afternoon for which I will be using a similar technique. I have yet to rely on anything other than VHF simplex for SOTA, although last weekend I had to hit a local repeater to solicit my 4th contact as the girlfriend was getting hungry and wanted to start down the trail. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

image FT8-004

3 Likes

Web links: HamSpots [My Spots, Sent and Received]
and Display Reception Reports

4 Likes

In case people aren’t aware, FT8 now allows for a 4 character directed CQ, such as “CQ SOTA N1RBD EM74”

From the FT8 Operating Guide

Customize your CQ calls by editing the Tx 6 message in the format “CQ XXXX ZL2IFB RF80” where XXXX consists of UP TO FOUR CAPITAL LETTERS e.g.:

IOTA, SOTA, TEST, IGC etc. indicating that you are operating from an island or summit, or in a contestor challenge, and/or would prefer to contact someone who is

You’ll probably get more responses with a plain CQ, but the option is there.

5 Likes

Thanks for info. I will do like this now.
73 QRO
Roger

Does this work now with /P in the callsign? It didn’t last time I tried.

It seems to work well !

2 Likes

I’ll check to see if my WSJT-X needs updating.

HI Roger
Looking at your setup, do you use an external soundcard ?
If yes what is the model ?
73 Eric F5JKK

PS: Merci pour le QSO FT8 sur 80m

1 Like

Hello Eric.
Yes i’m using the Signalink USB interface.
See this link:
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm
Where i bought it.
73 QRO and i do hope listen you soon.

1 Like