Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

FT8 activators

Hi Tom,

wouldn’t it be easier to use a call like “CQ SOTA M1EYP”?
It does not matter on which frequency you are sending as WSJT is handling this for you.
You just have to pick up the station in the WSJT Window, and double click.
As a QRP station it is better find a clear spot, so that QRO stations won’t disturb your transmition… Your listening on the frequency of the transmitting station, but you are staying on your clear spot. You might have to set the option not to move your transmitting frequency. Works very well.

Checking regularely that your transmitting frequency is clear will help to increase the number of QSOs. You can move around … even in the middle of the QSO. WSJT handles this for you.

73s
Ingo

2 Likes

Yes, I employ all of the techniques you describe.

It is worth stating the exact frequency or offset nonetheless, as the band may be busier at the RX of the chaser station than it appears on the summit. Many times, in various modes, I have been convinced I am on a clear spot, but chasers tell me “Difficult copy with much QRM” on air - or by email later (if activating with FT8).

It can only help; it can’t do any harm.

2 Likes

I’m very much a beginner with digital modes. Other than trying to select a clear spot for my Tx frequency on the waterfall window in WSJT-X I just let it do its own thing as I believe the program monitors all the channels.

It does have limitations which the current trip have thrown up. If I used the correct callsign for my QTH of F/M0WIV even without a /P at the end it will not send my grid. The only way to get it to include the grid is to revert to M0WIV without the F/. Without the grid the pskreporter website does not display anything.

I raised this on the FB group for WSJT-X and the advice was to try a Tx macro of F/M0WIV followed by my grid, JN60 or whatever it is. I tried this and it only sent F/M0WIV JN without the last two digits.

This is still a work in progress I think. :slight_smile:

There are ways (via both the software and your rig) to adjust this, but generally speaking with “normal” settings, you are monitoring around 2kHz. This probably covers around 50-70% of the activity on each band, but certainly not all.

2 Likes

IMO, the correct callsign trumps the inclusion of the grid. Who needs PSKreporter when you’ve got SOTAwatch Spots anyway? :smiley:

2 Likes