FT-857d discontinued

Yes I agree that the FT-857 would be the rig of choice for a phone modes only op. I admit I sometimes forget this what with having CW and FT8 to turn to as alternatives. But if I think back to my early days when I too was “phone-only” then the extra power would have been really useful. Like I say, I am somewhat surprised this rig is being discontinued without a natural succesor.

For now it is still being advertised, and it is more expensive than the 891. I’m fairly sure that our SOTA and portable use of the 857 was not envisaged by Yaesu, it was intended by them as a mobile rig, which is why it comes with a bracket and a very long fused power cable.

The 857 was my first ‘shack’ radio after passing my test. Ive used it for all the bands sucessfully for the last two years. My plan (after buying an Icom 7300) was to trade the Yaesu 857 in and buy an Icom705. To be honest ive grown to love the 857 and think i may now keep it. great solid radio.

2 Likes

That of course would be the long rumoured FT-791 Jens. There was a lot of talk about it just before the FT817ND MK II (or sorry FT-818) was brought out.

73 Ed.

My first HF SOTA radio, I was very happy to use it and I still keep it.

73, Jarek

2 Likes

New Years morning one time I was on Mt Gawler for SOTA trying to work a S2S with a Japanese station using the FT 857, I had plenty of power out but just could not pull him out of the noise. That day I also had my KX3 with me, hooked it up to my antenna and heard and worked him straight away, No it was not a fade up from qsb the RX ability of the kx3 compared to the internal noise on the FT 857 made the qso possible. That’s when I came to the conclusion my FT 857 was crap swapped it for a mighty ft 817 with a bloke who wanted a 100 w rig for his Holden Ute.
vk5cz …

2 Likes

Perhaps an option might be the upcoming offering from China? No VFO knob, but 30 W output on HF/6 and 5 W on 2 & 70. The promos say 1 kW PA also available…

1 Like

Hi Peter, this appears to be the Guohe G900 rig, under a different name - and discussed on the reflector, here:

73 Ed.

1 Like

That’s too bad. I use the 857 in the backyard and when I want QRO in the field. I have no problem with CW signals and with the new filter they put in the D model can narrow it to 240, 120 or69 hertz.

1 Like

Interesting numbering scheme. I remember the FT-790 being the 70cm twin of the FT-290, the first rig I owned in the mid 80’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The rumour mill of a few years back suggested that there was a design for an FT-791 and then the range would be FT-791 (QRP Portable), FT891 (Mobile HF), FT-991 (Home station HF/VHF/UHF) replacing the FT817 / FT-857 / FT-897 previous range.

The fact that V/UHF was dropped from the FT-891 (and the rumoured FT-791) drew a lot of negative comments in the Ham Radio Social media channels. Even though many FT-857 owners never use the rig on VHF or UHF, it seems the fact that the capability was there if needed was important to many people.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Well if the boss allows me to escape my chores at some point I may rig my 857 up outside with my SOTA gear as a piece of nostalgia! It’s a perfect day here

Completed the nostalgia by using my SLAB instead of my usual LiFePO. S6 noise on 40m. Can’t hear any SOTA. Anyone else working Gardens On The Air?

20m seems pretty lifeless with me today.

I did work 9A1AA who was sending CQ DIG. I guess it’s some sort of contest.

73, Colin

I guess it’s DIG - Day in Garden
:rofl:

1 Like

Diplom Interessen Gruppe apparently.

I struggled to find meaningful info but it seems as though the greeting is ‘77’.

As I’m not a member of DIG, my exchange was simply RST.

SAGHOTA has been suspended, ironically, during the current pandemic.

73, Colin

1 Like

Would have thought it was the ideal time for it to catch on.

I choosed a FT-818ND
bc is small and has VHF/UHF

• but still in post office in germany - no way to pick them up this time.
    (still “hanging” in EA8
    QRX QRX

Yes. The Cheltenham Amateur Radio Association (CARA) had a Gardens On The Air get-together on 2m FM this morning. 15 members took part and it was very enjoyable. It enabled me to use my Wouxun KG-UVD1P handy for the first time in over a year.

Walt (G3NYY)

1 Like

Quite!:thinking: