FT-857 users please

I have one of these which I use at home. I’ve noticed it sounds quite tinny on lsb, seems better on usb. I had an FT-817 which was much better on lsb. Indeed my kx1 sounds better on lsb!

I’ve only just noticed recently as I’ve been chasing summits and usually use cw. I was just wondering if it’s normal for the 857?

Ian MM0GYX

In reply to MM0GYX:

I’ve never played with an 857, but I assume they’ll be pretty similar to the FT817. I think there’s an extra menu item that allows you to change the default passband setting, maybe this has been changed by accident, or if not, you could maybe try adjusting it on LSB to get the audio to sound more to your preference.

Just a long shot.

BTW thanks for our contact on Sunday, was nice to work you for the first time.

Colin, M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH:
Hi Colin,

No probs, nice to work you too! You had a solid signal.

I checked the if shift to see if it had been left with an offset, no. I have had some success using the dsp lp/hp filters.

I may try a full reset, that’ll cleanse any erroneus settings.

I’m down south on sunday for 3 weeks, doing an ndt course in Rotherham. I will probably only have 2m fm but will spot if I plan any local activations, might have a chance to natter if you have 2m at the qth.

Ian.

In reply to MM0GYX:

Ian, at a guess I would say that you need to adjust second menu No. 015, the receiver carrier insertion point for LSB. If it is wrongly positioned it can cut out (or in the other direction, boost) the bass. The default position is zero and it can be adjusted either way in 10 Hz steps. Check and see if it is away from the default setting, if so set it back to zero, if not, adjust it for best sound and note the new setting.

Its worth a try!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian,

I found by doing tests with a friend that Menu 15 adjusted to +250Hz
on my 857 gave best incoming signal and the same offset on Menu 16 gave
best outgoing audio.
On USB menus 17 and 18 were set to -100Hz for best effect, so it’s
worth doing test with a local amateur on all four menus.
Probably a good idea to check the settings of the DSP CW filter bandwith,
and the HPF and LPF cutoffs on menus 45, 46 and 47 first.

Kind regards

Dave

In reply to G0ELJ:
I think these adjustments will greatly depend on whether you have the optional ssb filter installed.

Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:
Thanks for the things to check guys, I’ll have a play around with it.

No optional filter fitted Barry, but then my 817 seemed ok without it.

Ian

In reply to MM0GYX:

According to a review I read, it may have been in Radcom, there is a small amount of leakage around the optional filters in the 8*7 series that degrades the sideband selectivity so that there is little to be gained by fitting the 2.3 kHz filter, though the narrower Inrad filter is worthwhile.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0GYX:
Check out the tips provided by Heil Sound at URL http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/dspsettings/all_yaesu.php

Of course the best advice is to listen to the results of adjustments either on a local receiver or with other amateurs who know your voice.

Bill

In reply to G8ADD:

Thanks for your help everyone, I didn’t set out to be lazy and not read the manual, but I was lazy all the same I guess. I have now adjusted the rig, it’s sounding much better now.

I ended up with LSB settings of +250, out and in. I employed the reluctant help of Adam MM6AON, my son, to help. Unfortunately he wasn’t sure when my voice sounded natural until I started saying things like: “get that room cleaned”, “is your homework done yet?” etc.

Ian MM0GYX

In reply to MM0GYX and G0ELJ:

I ended up with LSB settings of +250, out and in.

Me too. The rig is much more natural sounding now. I just wonder whether the filter characteristics are slightly asymetric or whether the factory base setting is out. Thanks for the information Dave.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Possibly the factory settings favour the Japanese rather than Caucasian voices…but on the other hand I was quite satisfied with the way mine sounded once I had sorted out the best settings for the switch on the microphone!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Greatful for the initial tip to look at menu item 15 Brian. I also played with the switch on the mic but the difference seemed marginal. I settled on position 2 in the end.

Ian

In reply to G8ADD and MM0GYX:

Possibly the factory settings favour the Japanese rather than Caucasian voices…

That would not explain why there is a disparity in the background noise with the factory settings. It is definitely a carrier frequency / filter slope issue. As for the microphone, I understand the norm is position 2 for SSB, with position 1 apparently giving more bass for rag-chewing on FM. Not sure where that leaves the activator that uses FM, but I’ve never had an issue with position 2 using the mode from a summit. I am just grateful that I can shout over the wind noise!

The issue with damp getting into the mic on my last outing has got me thinking about using an alternative microphone and I am considering a shower-proof mic. However, replacements for the MH-31 are few and far between and ones that resist inclement weather conditions do not appear to exist. Adaptation and / or rewiring looks to be on the cards. Pity, because I’m sure if anyone made a decent rain-proof mic for the 817 at a reasonable cost, it would sell okay.

73, Gerald G4OIG