FT-857 Help

The large VFO knob on my FT-857, has detached itself from the spindle and for the life of me, I can’t work out how it’s held in place.

Looking deep inside the VFO knob, there seems to be some sort of lug that may press against the spindle, although it’s quite difficult to see.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Don’t drop it in the first place :slight_smile:
We can hopefully have a meet tomorrow and I will try and have a little look for you.
Now, where did I put my hammer and mig welder?

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Mike
Remove rubber cover from knob,you should find small hole in knob, a 1.5mm allen key will be needed to release grub skrew at bottom.
TAKE CARE
Bob G6ODU

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Don’t drop it in the first place :slight_smile:
We can hopefully have a meet tomorrow and I will try and have a little
look for you.
Now, where did I put my hammer and mig welder?

Just knew I could rely on you, for a sensible suggestion. OK, I’ll pop over tomorrow.

BTW, how is the dog bite healing? :-)))))

M6MMM

In reply to G6ODU:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Mike
Remove rubber cover from knob,you should find small hole in knob, a
1.5mm allen key will be needed to release grub skrew at bottom.
TAKE CARE
Bob G6ODU

Thanks a million Bob …and thanks for the QSO from Shining Tor, today.

73 Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

A 1.5mm Allen key may fit but the grub screw is T6 Torx.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

A 1.5mm Allen key may fit but the grub screw is T6 Torx.

Cheers Andy, I’m almost certain I have one of those.

Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

This reflector is a minefield of information ;0D

In reply to GW7AAV:

This reflector is a minefield of information ;0D

LOL, well it has certainly helped me out, Steve.

BTW, thanks for the QSO from Shining Tor today.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I was actually replacing the same part on my 857 as we were talking yesterday. It fell off on Pendle Hill the other Sunday. I just used a small cross point screwdriver as I couldn`t be bothered to look for an allen key.

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I was actually replacing the same part on my 857 as we were talking
yesterday. It fell off on Pendle Hill the other Sunday. I just used a
small cross point screwdriver as I couldn`t be bothered to look for an
allen key.

I picked up a set of Allen keys from the Pound Shop this morning. My T6 “Torx bit” tapered down from the top and hence too fat to fit all the way down into the small hole in the knob. I really don’t understand the love affair electrical manufactures have with Torx screws. It would appear the average mobile phone is full of them…

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The reason they are favoured is primarily because the automated screw fitting machine can easily hold a Torx screw in its bit. This is not at all easy with cap Allen or other screws.

T6 is a particular favourite of electronics companies. I’ve got a short reach T6 driver with a thin shaft and it’s so useful. The T6 bit for my electric screwdriver is almost useless for the reasons you give, tapering to too fat to fit in the hole.

Andy
MM0FMF

I had the same problem, but kind of semi-justified in the loosest terms the purchase of a mini lathe and tooling to turn down the original “fat” bit into a more usable slim-fast inspired item.

For everything else, there’s mastercard…

(In fairness, it has paid for itself many times over already)

Tim

F/G4YTD/P