FT-817 Wide (7.6MHz) Repeater Shift

Good Evening All

perhaps someone can help and im sure it would be useful info for someone else too

i recently purchased an ft-817ND

but when programming Wide 7.6MHz Repeater shifts using FT-817 Commander i cannot seem to get the shift to work (i.e it doesnt put a shift in even though its set as a shift in the software)

when i program it to memory as a split Frequencey in FT-817 Commander when the PTT is pressed i get TX Err

when entering it all manually on the radio it works fine and the 7.6MHz split also works

now i really am puzzled it works manually but doesnt programmed via the pc into a memory

i suppose its not to difficult going through manually to set it but then when i reload the memories through ft-817 commander its going to muck it all up again

Well My sunday roast is ready so i better go eat it hihi

hope someone can help

Thanks

Matt M3WDS

In reply to M3WDS:

I tried to program 430 RX with a plus 7.6MHz shift and Commander locked up. Twice! The 817 display was blank and it wouldn’t power up till I pulled the data lead. After the second lock up I decided that as my 817 was working discretion was the better part of valour.

FT 817 Commander 2.2 and a very early 817.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M3WDS:

What are Menu items 02 and 42 set to? They affect what happens with repeater shifts.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

02 ON
42 1.60MHz

In reply to M3WDS:

when entering it all manually on the radio it works fine and the 7.6MHz split also works

now i really am puzzled it works manually but doesnt programmed via the pc into a memory

I’ve had similar issues with my FT-817ND and MacMemoriesManager, so I suspect there’s something about the 817’s CAT chit-chat that doesn’t quite do what’s expected of it.

In reply to M3WDS:

I used to use FT817 Commander for this and don’t recall ever having a problem with 7.6MHz shifts. I now use FTBasicMMO because of its superior import/export facilities, and definitely don’t have a problem.

AFAIK there is no fully documented (by Yaesu) way of programming the memories over the serial interface; there’s a certain amount of reverse engineering of the EEPROM format in all of this. The FT-817 and FT-817ND need some slightly different tricks (FTBasicMMO needs to be told which you’re using).

Unfortunately the trial version of FTBasicMMO doesn’t let you try out the critical bit of actually programming your radio, even during the evaluation period. But it’s not terribly expensive and I decided it was worth the risk; it certainly works for me and has saved me a lot of time.

BTW, FTBasicMMO does not use the CAT protocol, but uses clone mode to programme the memories en masse. This seems more reliable.

In reply to M1MAJ:

The FT-817 and FT-817ND need some slightly different tricks (FTBasicMMO needs to
be told which you’re using).

Something like that might well explain the strangeness I saw, as the program only knows about “FT-817” and so could well be tripping over whatever the differences between the old 817 and the newer 817ND are…