FT-817 Speech Compressor question

Hey, newb question is it worth the investment in a speech compressor for my FT817 – or should I be saving the pennies for my next radio? Fifty pounds for a speech compressor, another 50 for the nifty manual, digi-rig and so on…

1 Like

It gives an increase of about 6 dB in talk power, in effect like adding an amplifier without the penalty of a big increase in power consumption, so it is quite beneficial - but only you can decide the answer to the question of economics. You could get something with higher power, a used FT-857D, the big brother of the FT-817/8, gives you an option to go up to 100 watts and it has a built in speech compressor but it is power hungry and weighs 2.1 kg. Its up to you in the end, the cost/benefit equation is personal.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m looking around and noticing that there seem to be quite a few folk that have moved on from their FT817, presumably because they eventually find the 5w to be limiting. Still wondering if I start ticking all the boxes trying to get the most out of my rig, if I’d be better off investing in something more powered.

1 Like

Absolutely. With the included MH-31 microphone, the FT-817’s modulation is very muffled. I recognize the difficult-to-understand sound immediately.

With a compressor and an electret capsule you will certainly gain 6dB and therefore what feels like 20W.

Me and Uwe, DK8OA, have had good experiences with the microphone/compressor/voice memory combination.

73 Chris

4 Likes

If you are keeping the 817 like me I would recommend the processor for sure.
Just get one of your more local “Audio Critics” to help you set it up.
It has internal adjustment and also reset some of the mic gain setting in the radio menu as well. I don’t use my 817 much on SSB but when ever I do everyone can hear me ok.
Its also a great digital mode FT8 or JS8 with on the fly ALC adjustments on the screen through you interface. My 817 is mostly used for js8 call when out portable.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

4 Likes

Hi Mike,
I know what you mean about - is it worth it to add to a small radio or bite the bullet, sell it and buy a larger one - my recommendation would be the Xiegu G90 rather than the FT857D due to weight and power consumption factors. Moving from 5w to 20w where the 20w radio has a good speech compressor in it, is a sweet spot (IMHO). The G90 has an internal speech processor and an ATU that will match almost anything.
That being said before making this jump, I added a DF4ZS mini RF speech clipper into the MH31 microphone of my FT-817ND and it made a big difference. I later tried the Box73/SOTABeams external option on a different radio and was not as impressed. It works, but not as well as the DF4ZS (now SK) board. I also built an HF amplifier kit to give me 50-70w while portable, and an ATU, of course, this meant more cables and a larger battery.
The FT-817ND is a great little radio and with a speech processor and an internal LiPO battery upgrade makes a great portable package but for a little extra weight, the Xiegu G90 gets more contacts in the log than the FT817ND did, but needs the external battery.
I regret selling my FT817ND when I did but I am happy with the G90 solution.
Your decision, but I would say given the market looking for good FT817NDs (and FT857Ds) all the time, you should be able to sell the FT817ND for a good price and the G90 is probably at its lowest price for some time at the moment.

Good luck with the decision.

73 Ed DD5LP

2 Likes

Yes. I have the Box 73 one bought some years back. Trivial to build and it makes a really significant improvement on SSB. Ed’s DF4ZS is a much better audio processor but more involved to build. If you happen to find someone selling a DF4ZS then it is the one to buy. But do get one of them.

Nope. I didn’t buy a KX2 for the 3dB more power. Being QRP can be limiting but you normally try to work your way around it. Only having a few watts makes it difficult to break through pileups, so it’s more productive for you to be the “DX” and have people call you!

My KX2 was a retirement present as was my 705 (I’m worth it in my opinion). But if I hadn’t been offered both radios at good prices then I would still be using my “old reliable” 817s. Instead one of my 817’s has been sold, the other goes on eBay soon. A good second hand 817 and CW filter can be had for around £500 and is still and entirely competent and decent radio for things like SOTA.

3 Likes

The Xiegu G90 is a very capable rig but there is no way that it can be considered a replacement for the FT-817/8 or an alternative upgrade to the FT-857D. It is purely an HF rig, it doesn’t even cover 6m so it is unsuitable for next year’s challenge, if its owner also needs V/UHF he needs to carry an additional rig or rigs, or a transverter. There are alternatives to the FT-857D, for instance the IC-7000, which is a nice rig but uses more than twice as much power on receive than the 857.

2 Likes

I still find after over 20 years and owning multiple versions and now on the 818 that it is still a very capable rig

Is it’s life over? no way

To me I have several QRP radios depending on my use case

I am in Sevilla today and it’s the Icom 705
Last year it was Venice with the 818

I am looking to maybe add a x6100

Just one? 705 even with it’s lack of tuner

73s
John EA7/ve3ips

817s may be today’s best used bargain at the right price

4 Likes

I agree, I have one of the old (2014) modules from Joachim Münch, DF4Z in my 817 Mic 2a.) RF Speech Clipper into Yaesu’s MH-31. « DF4ZS . Do you know if the DH8BQA one is similar?

3 Likes

My MH-31 failed after a few years, and I replaced the insert with a dynamic capsule which cost me £1 in Maplins closing down sale. I intended it as a temporary fix while awaiting the arrival of a new MH-31 from Yaesu.
When it arrived, I did a number of A B tests on the air, and everyone I asked preferred the £1 sound - much clearer, they said! That’s the one I always use now.
So, I can’t comment on the compressor, but it may well be worth improving the microphone in some way.

1 Like

Although my FT-818 experience (with and without the speech compressor) is limited compared to most who have responded already, from my point of view it is more than worth it. My signal reports and ease of getting into a POTA pile-up let’s say, have gone way up since I started using this amazing add-on. I am also currently experimenting with the LDG Z-817 tuner, which is designed specifically for the 817/818. If I had to choose between the two it would definitely be the speech compressor. Packs almost as easily as the factory mic and adds almost no extra weight; can’t say that about the tuner. Plus the cost is minimal comparatively. If interested, check out one of my latest episodes “Activating Chestnut Knob” where I try out both units together in the field for the first time.

2 Likes

That is why I got the DF4Z compressor for my mic, it came with an electret capsule. You remove the old dynamic capsule and replace it with the compressor board, it’s a bit fiddly and involved soldering but it works very well, the switch on the back of the mic is rewired as compression on/off and when I get complimented on my nice audio I usually demonstrate the on/off difference.

2 Likes

I hear some complaints about the tone quality of the MH-31 microphone occasionally, but OTOH I have heard very many operators getting perfectly satisfactory modulation quality with this mic. I suspect that in many cases those complaining have missed the note about the tone switch midway down page 28 of the manual. Position 2 of the switch on the back of the mic rolls off some of the bass, making it more suitable for western voices, while position 1 is better suited to oriental voices. My only complaint about the MH-31 is that the PTT switch rapidly gets noisy, requiring frequent cleaning: I’m perfectly happy with the sound quality!

2 Likes

Love my Icom 705. I was never impressed with the X6100 if I’m completely honest.

A couple of people have mentioned the FT-857 & the G90 if you want a little more punch.

If a new radio is on the cards for the OP, don’t overlook the FX-4CR. I was lucky enough to be loaned one for a couple of weeks and was extremely impressed with it. No tuner or internal battery but it does do 20 watts.

It is smaller & lighter than just about every other offering & is fairly robust with it’s metal case. As I said, no internal battery but then none of the other 20+ watt radios that I can think of have an internal battery. A small external lithium battery pack is no big drama, especially when the radio is as small & light as the FX-4CR.

Food for thought.

2 Likes

Hi James,
Before we all go off at multiple angles listing all the alternative radios (I know, I’m one of the ones who started this with my comments on the G90) I think, getting back to Mike’s original question - all who have had (or still have) an FT817/8 seem to agree that adding a speech processor either into the microphone casing (DF4ZS) or as a plastic box in the microphone lead (Box73) is indeed a useful addition and will make the QRP radio more effective at low signal strengths.

73 Ed.

5 Likes

Hi Colin, I believe DH8BQA produced a voice keyer ( -BX-184 – An MH-31 microphone integrated voice keyer | DH8BQA ) did he produce a speech processor as well?
The one sold by Box73 and SOTABeams is based on the design from Phil Salas, AD5X.
73 Ed.

2 Likes

One of the best things i have purchased, made such a difference to activations on SSB

2 Likes

Technofix electret mic upgrade from the stock dynamic MH31 was the step change for me on the 818nd. Inline compressor also helps but mostly I dont need to bother with it.

1 Like

'coz you only do FM?

2 Likes