Free exfoliation on Shining Tor

Activation Report for SP-004 & SP-013 08/03/2009

Following Richards tips that both of these summits are easy to get up, we decided on a dual activation as they are close enough to each other for quick dash if needed.

G/SP-004 Shining Tor:

Set off from Helsby in Sunshine with a bit of wind( not from the Porridge I might add). Roads for a sunday were busy and I followed a Boy Racer up on to the Cat & Fiddle road who was only doing 20 mph, the car was customised but wasnt going very fast at all (quite strange I thought).

Arrived at Car Parking spot in plenty of time for ascent, Wind had picked up and was blowing in from the left on the path up. Richard was right not too difficult at all to reach Micheal’s Seat with Trig behind the wall, Climbed over wall staircase to touch Trig and get a photo.

Setting up with Perch rod attached to fingerpost, beam on first as this was going lower than the Dipole. wind was now severe enough to bend the top of pole looking like I had caught a 20pound perch. Started off on 2M ssb as planned,G8HXE 1st contact and went to 330 Keith put a spot on ,Thanks for that. Got to contact Jimmy M3EYP from home with 5-9 both ways and Tom popped on aswell to give me no6. at this time Weather was closing in again and by the time I got to contact no11, The hailstones had started to exfoliate my Face like tiny little needles. quick shout on 330 for QRZ nothing heard so made decision to pack up and get down. No HF again very disappointing!

When we got back to car the visibilty had gone down to about 40 yds so drove 200m to Cat & Fiddle pub and went in for Hot Chocolate and a warm. I think everyone who was walking the peaks was in there all sheltering from the Orrible Weather and waiting for the Carvery to begin. We had decided to drive to car park spot for Gun as planned, have our packed lunch there and see what weather was going to hold for us.

G/SP-013 Gun:

arriving at car park spot visibilty had improved still very windy but no hailstones or wet stuff. we were very early for activation anyway so decided to have lunch in car and see what we would do at about 1pm. Weather had improved enough for me to suggest possible HH only and hope for four contacts but I took my beam just in case and up we went. To say this ascent is easy is an understatement, we reached Trig in about 15 mins if that and then I spotted a nice little wall on treeline beyond Trig and we set up camp behind it. I put up Beam and a family group walking had asked me what we were doing so had an opportunity to promote SOTA to them and they wished us good luck.

Started on 300 with the 897 and nothing tried two more shouts before going to 500 FM and first contact was 2E0WOZ/M on the A49 heading home,thanks for 1st contact on Gun, Helen. 10 more contacts later including Worcestershire with 5-5 both ways, I tried 300 again and only got 2 contacts there, once again weather was closing in so we decided we had had a smashing day and the XYL said she thoroughly enjoyed it despite the weather so no problems really! down to car in no time and on way home Sunshine all the way back to windy Helsby.

Thanks to all who contacted me on both Summits, all calls logged in Database last night and sorry to any chasers who were waiting on 20m for me.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks the the contest when you were on Shining Tor G/SP-004. Sorry I didn’t get to work you on Gun G/SP-013, I listened for you on the FT-897 in the shack, but I heard nothing surprisenly from Macclesfield. When will you be activating the Cloud G/SP-015.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy, good to work you for the first time, no probs.

Gun was much easier and weather was slightly better, but not many takers on 2m SSB.

I dont when I will be doing Cloud but will alert in plenty of time, you’re welcome to join me when I do.

I have set myself a target of doing all 17 SP Summits this year so keep an eye and ear out for me.

Take Care

Tony

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

I have alerted for Cloud for this Friday 20/03/09, If you are not at school you can accompany me up if you want to, let me know via this thread or email me. m6adl@yahoo.com

Tony

M6ADL

Hi Tony,

Me and my Dad M1EYP can’t meet up with you on The Cloud G/SP-015 because I’m at school and my Dad is at work. Hope to meet up with you some other time.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

No Problem Jimmy, I thought that might be the case. Its just that while I am out of work I want to get as many summits done as poss.

Once I get back into gainful employment I will only have the Weekends to play SOTA.

Will meet up with you and Tom soon

Tony