Forward planning

I see there is an alert submitted for a planned activation in 27 years’ time!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I suspect that somebody has been testing the SOTAwatch system for vulnerability to the 2038 bug. Yes, we have another computer scare story to rival Y2K - Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to M1EYP:

The mountain certainly won’t have moved until then, so why not? :slight_smile:

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to M1EYP:
Depending on wx

In reply to M1EYP:
Thats a bad time for me .The man that reads the gas meter calls about then 73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

Thats a bad time for me .The man that reads the gas meter calls about then

So you actually know he will call in the early hours on 19th January 2038. Well, that’s a true indication of the way the 24/7 society is going. I suggest you put a note out Geoff so he doesn’t need to knock. Better type it as he probably won’t recognise hand writing by that date. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald It will be dark all the time where I will be 73 Geoff

In reply to M1EYP:

I see there is an alert submitted for a planned activation in 27
years’ time!

Typical innit!!!

The very same date as I was planning to activate that summit.

Suppose I’ll just have to rearrange my plans …

How inconvenient :frowning:

Mike

2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
it’s a bit depressing to realise how old you’ll be then!

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I just hope I will be around then to listen for him. I will have 92 turns on the coil then! 73 Tony G8BVJ

In reply to M1EYP:

Probably trying to upstage you on your “future” report of a activation.

(Clue - check through your posts in “Vote!”)

Peter
G1FOA

ps will be up in the lakes again for 10 days from Wed next week

I see there are now 2 alerts submitted for the 19th January 2038.

Jimmy M3EYP

WX allowing, I hope to be doing an activation of GW/NW-044 Moel Famau using my new holographic video transeiver on all bands from 80m through to subspace about then, just as long as my new bionic legs arrive in time.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

That Chinese 4m multimode will be on sale too by then :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes! Having one fitted to my bathchair ;0P

SOTAwatch will not take dates after 19 Jan 2038 for some reason.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

SOTAwatch will not take dates after 19 Jan 2038 for some reason.

I’d bet it’s running on a Linux server and that is when the date counter overflows - a bit like the Y2K bug on Windows.

See: Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia

It’s something that Andy needs to check for, although by the time we get real spots for then hopefully the system will be running on a newer server!

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

Interesting that it will accept an alert for a date later than 19th January 2038, but will only display dates up to 19th January 2038. I just alerted for 27th January 2038 & the alert appeared as 19th, although it still said 27th when I went to edit it.

It seems like this is a much more fundamental problem than the Y2K bug would ever have been.

I’m sure it will be sorted well before then :wink:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

The activations alerted for 2038 seem to have been cancelled. I assume the weather forecast was unfavourable.

73 de Les, G3VQO

Hmmm, I am due to retire in 2038. Mind you, it will have probably gone up a few more times by then!

Anyway, I hope the 2038 bug - and SOTAwatch - are fixed in time for my retirement activations!

Tom M1EYP