Folding@home and Covid-19

He will with that monster of processor :wink:

It actually seems to be the GPU that is making the most impact. Itā€™s not a particularly high end graphics card; I chose it mainly for the number of sockets on the back rather than rendering capacity. It seems to be able to do these background computes and still run 3 monitors.

:+1:
I think having 20 threads and the memory bandwidth to keep them fed will still be a contributing factor.

Now thatā€™s the type of computer jargon I can understand :wink:

I have contributed computer time to other projects in the past but they were more interesting in that they told you if you found anything even mildly interesting. It looks like this one gives no feedback?

And did you find any little green men :wink:

It was a drug one if I recall correctly. The SETI one is still active though: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

1 Like

All of my hamsters are old and slow, but I have a small horde of them that I have added to the cause. Whatā€™s lacking in CPU and GPU cycles, I will make up for with cracking the whip on my little team! :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

1 Like

Quick reminder. Join in David if you havenā€™t already but I do not see you there yet, The team 265845 is running. Unfortunately any previously earned points will not transfer to the team.
Jim

I have run into problems so will be backing out. Sorry.
Rod

2 Likes

I got involved in Folding@home (FAH) at the start of the Covid19 outbreak and am folding for the Club Log team. Some thoughts for those who are just getting into the folding malarkey:

1. A mid range GPU will far outperform a top of the range CPU because GPUs are optimised for the sort of work that FAH does.

2. The faster you can complete the work unit (WU) the better for the science, so you get more bonus points for doing so. Bonus points can easily be ten times the base score.

3. Your score for a WU is a very good proxy for the value of your work to the science.

4. You ONLY get bonus points if you have requested and installed a passkey.

I have written a couple of articles for the Club Log team covering the above points in more detail that might be of interest to SOTA FAH participants:

Congratulations on setting up a SOTA FAH team and good luck. Thank you for making a difference.

73, John, G3WGV

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused. Iā€™ve joined the SOTA team but I donā€™t show up in the list and I donā€™t have any points. If I click on the stats link I get a ā€œnot foundā€ error. Iā€™d start again but Iā€™ve just reached 99.99% of something!

John
G4YTJ

John - the FAH web status page that opens when you start the FAH client will tell you what is going on - total points, points allocated to your team, etc. These are updated more or less as you go along. The team statistics are updated less often but usually within 20 minutes or so. You donā€™t get any points until the Work Unit has been completed and uploaded.

The SOTA team stats are at Folding@home | Statistics

73, John

Interesting, especially the table showing GPU throughput. It would appear that most of my credits are gained by my laptop which has a GEFORCE GTX1070 but a quad CPU rather than my desktop which has a GEFORCE GTX 660 TI with a hex CPU

Does the top left of your FaH Web Control page look similar to this. John
Jim

Jim,
Indeed it doesā€¦
But when I go to the SOTA team page my identity as G4YTJ doesnā€™t appear!

John

If you run the advanced control then you can see exactly what each folding component of your system is doing and how many points it is earning. Yes, the GTX1070, even in laptop guise is a decently fast GPU and will be doing most of the heavy lifting. Look out for overheating!

73, John

John -

1. Have you actually completed any Work Units?
  2. How long since the first WU completed?

Be patient, it takes time for the statistics to catch up!

73, John

So, John, what does it show on the other side?
This is mine
Jim

John,
Have you actually completed any Work Units?
Probably not.
This one has been on 99.99% for quite a while though.
Iā€™ll leave it running and see what happens.

John
G4YTJ