Fisherfield Six (Five) GM/NS Activations on Fri/Sat

Hi all,

Just wanted to raise awareness amongst chasers that I will be hiking a route known as the Fisherfield Six (aka Five) in the Fisherfield Forest (or ‘Great Wilderness’) in the Scottish Highlands this weekend. I plan to activate six summits over two days (MM1HAX/P), which have only been activated once before by @MM0YCJ about 7-8 years ago. Four of these have not been activated on HF previously. My schedule is as follows:

Fri 1000z GM/NS-022
Fri 1215z GM/NS-010
Fri 1345z GM/NS-006
Fri 1530z GM/NS-016
Sat 0940z GM/NS-013
Sat 1120z GM/NS-021

Check SOTLAS for the latest alert timings. I am not expecting to have any cellular or APRS coverage but will update alerts and self-spot if possible. I’ll also try to post updates during the trip on https://twitter.com/M1HAX. This is a multi-day hike so inevitably there will be some inaccuracy in the alert times I have posted.

I will be using a Yaesu VX6 with SRH770S for 2m/70cm and a Yaesu FT891 with a 20m/40m linked dipole. I plan to run around 40w on the FT891 and expect to be operating on HF for around 20 minutes per summit. I will operate HF before VHF on each summit, starting on or around 7.160 MHz. I’ll try and work as many chasers as possible on HF but will be rationing my battery supply over the trip so apologise in advance if I am unable to clear the pileups before going QRT.

Richard M1HAX

2 Likes

Make sure you let the three estates’ head stalker know your intended route and where you’ll be staying as they don’t publish when stalking is happening on “hillphones”.

1 Like

Good advice, thanks. I previously checked https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/heading-scottish-hills-table-area-2-northern-highlands which states stalking isn’t due to start for a couple more weeks yet.

I haven’t been able to find anything online about the ‘three estates’ head stalker’ though, do you have any contact details? Will be keeping to an established route so hoping it will be fine.

Google Fisherfield and stalking and follow your nose is all I can suggest.

1 Like

Richard,
looks like you have landed pretty for the weather! Have a great trip.
I was discussing doing Fisherfield with a friend earlier in the week, but we decided to wait until Shenavall bothy reopens. Or possibly bike in from Incheril and camp at Lochan Fada.

Might be in the area Saturday so will listen for you on 145.5, have fun.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

1 Like

Good choice of 7.160 MHz for 40m as hopefully there will be a few WAB members keeping tabs on that QRG. Your planned activity will also go out to WAB land on my daily morning summary, so fingers crossed that skip is favourable. The fact that you’ll be in North Scotland is helpful!

1 Like