First SOTA QSO's

Hi all…I had snooped the SOTA site before and wondered when it would catch on in NA. Today my question was answered…I had been waiting for Nov. 14th!!! Managed to work Andrew K1YMI/P on W2/GA-044…heard GM7UAU calling him also. Then worked KI6NN/P on W6/CD-013! Lots of QRM today but had “FUN” working my first SOTA’s!!! Thanks for being there!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:
The latest spots is dominated by NA summits, that could be a first? the great outdoors and radio is an excellent combo. Sean M0GIA

In reply to VA6FUN:

Hi all…I had snooped the SOTA site before and wondered when it would
catch on in NA. Today my question was answered…I had been waiting
for Nov. 14th!!! Managed to work Andrew K1YMI/P on W2/GA-044…heard
GM7UAU calling him also. Then worked KI6NN/P on W6/CD-013! Lots of QRM
today but had “FUN” working my first SOTA’s!!! Thanks for
being there!

Mike VA6FUN

Thanks for the contact Mike ! … I heard GM7UAU calling and calling… but no matter how I tried I could not make it back to him.
I had to pack it up I was very wet and the clouds were closing in around me. Apparently there’s a wonderful view from Crane Mtn. I could see the edge of the hill !

Andrew

In reply to KC2EUS:
Hi Andrew…THANK YOU! I heard you giving GM7UAU signal reports over and over but no luck…next time. Curious…what were you using for equipment and what pwr level?

Mike FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:
I was using a Yaesu FT817 @5W … Antenna was a 80m “halfer” end fed dipole. 65’ wire with 35’ counterpoise on the ground. I had this into a 4:1 balun and a LDG QRP autotuner.

Andrew

In reply to M0GIA:

In reply to VA6FUN:
The latest spots is dominated by NA summits, that could be a first?
the great outdoors and radio is an excellent combo. Sean M0GIA

Hi Sean…I agree! I spent time this past summer kayaking to Alberta Islands and activating them for the Canadian Islands Award Program (CISA)…great “FUN”!

Mike

In reply to VA6FUN:
Good to hear you up on the hill Mike. Thanks for listening for us! YOu had a bangin signal in SoCal my friend! Cheers.

John
KI6NN

In reply to VA6FUN:

Hi, Mike.

My twitter & facebook profile picture was taken on the Parker Ridge hiking trail off the Icefields Parkway.

Martin
VA3SIE.

In reply to VA3SIE:

In reply to VA6FUN:

Hi, Mike.

My twitter & facebook profile picture was taken on the Parker
Ridge hiking trail off the Icefields Parkway.

Martin Gillen

Martin
VA3SIE.

Hi Martin… My Twitter “FUNadventures” and Geocaching.com “FUN Adventures”. Too bad I never worked you…next time!!

Mike

In reply to KI6NN:

In reply to VA6FUN:
Good to hear you up on the hill Mike. Thanks for listening for us! YOu
had a bangin signal in SoCal my friend! Cheers.

John
KI6NN

Hi John…THANKS for being there! I was surprised how well your sig was in AB land!

Mike