First SOTA Activation

Today I made my first ever SOTA activation from G/SE-004 Butser Hill - I thought it about time I made the effort to put something back for all the Chaser Points that others have given me since I started in February.
I chose Butser Hill because it was close to my son’s who I am visiting this week for a few days and it is reasonably accessible for the “infirm”. The walk from the car park to gain the activation zone was not too bad and I was able to set up my SOTA mast & beam and 20 metre dipole quite easily. I was pleased to qualify the site on 144mhz SSB with 8 QSOs and a further 5 on 14mhz - very pleasing, although I did not manage to contact any of the “regulars” - I will give advance notice of future activations. Nevertheless I was happy to have “broken my duck” and look forward to doing more summits albeit by necessity the easy ones.

Graham G3OHC

In reply to G3OHC:

Congratulations on your first activation Graham, sorry I missed you.

Well done.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G3OHC:

Hi Graham,

Excellent news and well done! I am very much looking forward to an S2S QSO with you. Maybe even on 70cms one day.

73, Gerald

Hi Graham,
I heard you working Tom in Gloucester but had just started lunch and was unable to call you right away. You were not too strong with me, due to my proximity to the Cotswold escarpment, which lies to my east about 2K from the shack. I called you a few times, after lunch, but missed you. Sorry; better luck next time.
Well done on your first, of many?
Frank

Nice one Graham. Be warned, once the bug bites, there is no escape!

I look forward to your first CW activation, which will be a landmark moment considering that it was SOTA that brought you back to CW after many years.

I hope to work you S2S at some point this summer.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I’ve now made my second SOTA activation (Walbury Hill G/SE-001) and made 14 QSO’s 0n 144mhz ssb. Unlike my first activation I put an “alert” on SOTAwatch and was “spotted” by G0LGS who was looking for me for a new summit. I went on to work quite a few of the “regulars”, again unlike on the first activation when I did not work any of the “regulars” - so the “spot” system worked for me.

Thanks to you all for the words of encouragement, I shall certainly be doing more activations as “the bug has bitten” and Tom, I think I have to get more CW practice under my belt before I go onto 40m CW ! - but it will come

73 Graham G3OHC

In reply to G3OHC:

You do realise how terribly addictive this SOTA activation lark is? It starts off as a bit of fun and it’s not long before you’ll realise that you spend Thu/Fri/Sat planning Sunday’s activation and Mon/Tue cataloging the photos, writing a report, entering logs anf figuring out how you can improve the gear.

That only leaves Wednesday free and that’s radio club night!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3OHC:

Hi Graham,

I agree 100% with Andy’s comments, though I find it goes much farther than that. I already have a tentative schedule arranged for next winter, assuming of course that petrol stays below £1.50 a litre!

73, Gerald

In reply to G3OHC:
Very well done Graham. Welcome to the world of SOTA activating. It’s quite right; what they say, so beware!
Take care, John G4YSS.