First G completist?

Could it be this weekend that the first person to activate every SOTA summit in England (G) emerges?

I note Richard G3CWI is spotted on Pillar G/LD-006 this morning, and assume he will combine that with Kirk Fell G/LD-014 later today.

That would leave him just three more LDs to complete all of G for SOTA, so I wonder if that is going to happen in the next couple of days? Congratulations from me if you do it Richard.

Tom M1EYP

Hmm, yes, as predicted, Richard later appeared on LD-014. Three LDs to go then to complete G, and he’s up there on a Friday…

Hi Dad,

Why don’t you ring up Richard G3CWI and find out whether he is intending to complete all of G while he is in G/LD at the moment.

Jimmy M3EYP who has just turned 17 today.

In reply to M3EYP:
Many Happy Returns Jimmy
73 de Ken and Christine

In reply to M3EYP:
Happy birthday, Jimmy - another year and you can buy your dad a pint!

Brian G8ADD

Hi All…

Time for a whinge…

Yes I heard Richard G3CWI/P today on G/LD-006 Pillar and I went back to him on 40m CW. The actions of a DL3H** station which I feel like fully naming and shaming (but won’t at the moment) wrecked the QSO and as a result I am not in Richards log. This station is either totally inept or messing things up for others on purpose, it is hard to tell, but I wish he would stay off the ham bands and find another hobby. His keying is terribly jerky and he also has big key clicks. Richard was forced to QSY from the frequency because of the actions of the DL3 and his weak back scatter signal then faded out with me after he had called me.

The other problem is on SSB where stations continue to pass on reports (QSP) so that they can be quicker into the log. They just don’t have the patience to give an operator struggling a chance of an honest QSO. Despite repeated requests in the SOTA News and on this reflector people continue to do it, as witnessed today when an OE station passed on the 54 report I received from Carolyn GW6WRW/P on GW/NW-052.

Sadly a small minority some of the time are spoiling the enjoyment and satisfaction of the vast majority of SOTA chasers and activators.

I hope Richard does manage to finish off the full set this weekend - he has a good weather forecast.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

73 Phil G4OBK

Thank you for the birthday messages.

Brian I’ll buy my Dad a pint next year when I am 18. I’m only 17 at the moment.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
Happy Birthday Jimmy! I’ll be listening out for you tomorrow.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M3EYP:
That’s what I meant, Jimmy, and I’ll tell you something else from experience, he’ll drink it with pride!

Brian G8ADD

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the birthday mesage. I hope to work on 2m fm this weekend. It would be nice if you could work me this Sunday when I will be activating GW/NW-072 due to the fact there isn’t much 2m fm activaty in that area.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
I’m not likely to hear you unfortunately on 2m FM from this location. But there is usually a good path South along the Welsh coast to England if anyone is QRV.

Wish I was going too. I’ve been about 7 times to Bardsey, the last time was with you in 2005(?)

Looks like you’ll have good weather, have fun!

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M3EYP:

Jimmy, we’re out and about Sunday (not decided where yet) so will have a listen out for you s2s. Happy Birthday btw

73 Chris

Thank you for the birthday message Chris.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to G4OBK:

The other problem is on SSB where stations continue to pass on reports (QSP) so that they can be quicker into the log. They just don’t have the patience to give an operator struggling a chance of an honest QSO. Despite repeated requests in the SOTA News and on this reflector people continue to do it, as witnessed today when an OE station passed on the 54 report I received from Carolyn GW6WRW/P on GW/NW-052.

This happened to me in mid week when a PA3 was operating from OE/TI, i was a weak signal and he was struggling to get my call sign when someone relayed it. I wasnt best pleased but nothing i can do about it and i didnt submit it as a log entry.

Good luck Richard in achieving all SOTA G summits and a Happy Birthday to Jimmy.

Mark
M3RHJ

In reply to M3RHJ:

The other problem is on SSB where stations continue to pass on reports
(QSP) so that they can be quicker into the log.

I’ve had this happen to me and the only course of action is to make it very clear that you are going to cancel the report that has been QSP’d and then send a different report. If all activators took this stance, then the practice would hopefully cease.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
The activator or chaser will not always be aware of what happened, in which case I suggest that the person receiving the QSP (which in any case might have been wrong) ignores it and continues to ask for a repeat. IMHO changing the report is a falsification, a report should be an honest evaluation.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OBK:

Richard was
forced to QSY from the frequency because of the actions of the DL3 and
his weak back scatter signal then faded out with me after he had
called me.

Phil

That is not correct. I was not forced to QSY because of a DL3. The incident sounded very different from my end.

Richard
G3CWI

Thank you for the birthday message Mark.

Richard did you manage to complete all of G?

Jimmy M(W)3EYP

Hi All,

Richard G3CWI is now activating Place Fell G/LD-027, will he activate Baystones G/LD-039 later to be the first activator to complete all the G SOTA summits?

Jimmy M3EYP in EA6

In reply to M3EYP:
Richard is now activating LD-039 on 40m cw. Congrats on the completion.

Reg G3WPF